Problems with my 85 with a 307

Guest Straight eight

Guest Straight eight

I have had just little problems that are starting to add up.

Engine idle at a stop light from slightly fast to just right to too slow

Sometimes downshifting coming to a light. Seems to hang in third, and then at last minute will do the 3-2 and finally the 2-1.

Last night for the first time it shuddered when up shifting at about 15mph or so.

Trans oil appears clean and clear changed at 14,000 or so, now showing 37,000 miles.

Thought it might be a solenoid, or a front mount, part number 25511570 as I have heard they do go bad.

Am looking for ideas as to how to proceed at this point.

Your experiences sound like some I've had. The transmission problem sounds like the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid going bad. Your lock-up torque converter isn't unlocking.

One day they're fine, the next day crap. I've replaced the TCC solenoid on 3 of the 5 Rivs with the 325-4L transmission that I've owned.

You can check this pretty easily yourself. As you slowing down, shift the trans into neutral and complete your stop. When you put it back in gear, the torque converter should have unlocked and you're back to "normal."

I'm not familiar with it, but I've heard enough complaints to think the idle problem could be the idle load compensator. Jayson Pruitt can tell you everything you don't want to know about them. :D

Ed

My only experiences with the TCC failure were upon coming to a stop. I could imagine that if the converter were locked and you tried to accelerate, it would be similar to trying to accelerate in high gear in a manual transmission. No experience with the acceleration problem.

Replacement of the TCC solenoid requires removal of the pan, not the entire transmission. The last time I had it done professionally, (I don't do transmissions - period.) it cost me about $135.00.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Straight eight

I changed the TCC solenoid, and wow what a difference. Had to use NAPA parts, all GM stuff is either gone, or dried out. Napa seems fresh.

Guest simpsy82

Hey Straight eight, about your shuttering problem. dose it only happen when under hard acceleration? dose it sound like a clicking grinding whirr type noise? and lastly can you feel a slight pull left or right when it happens?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Straight eight

Shuttering problem is gone with the changing of the tcc solenoid. Of any consequence now, the forth gear shift is a little lazy but as the speed gets higher or pressure on accelerator lessens she shifts just fine. any comments?

• 3 weeks later...