1970 W-31 Rear Control Arm Bolts

Guest W-31 Nut

Guest W-31 Nut

I cannot get one of the lower rear control arm bolts out! it is a 1/3 of the way out and stuck. Any tips or suggestions on how o proceed?

Front or rear end of it? Make sure all the load is off of it so it doesn't get bound up trying to support the axle. You may have to finagle your axle support up or down to make sure the bolt is free and centered.

Plenty of PB Blaster, a BFH, and patience. If these don't work, heat it to point of burning the rubber out of it if necessary. I assume the idea is bushing replacement, so you're not worried about saving them.

Wait till you get to the upper ones...

Guest W-31 Nut

Thanks Glenn, got the PB Blaster, A 8 pound BFH, and a pneumatic hammer. Hopefully, I'll have the patience necessary!

Loren Schipper

Relics and Rods

Lake Havasu City, AZ

33 Chevy 3 window

70 Olds Cutlass W-31

04 Corvette

May the South never die!

If the head of the bolt is partially out, slip a box wrench past the bolt head. Let it ride on the shaft of the bolt. Spin the bolt with an impact wrench. Use the box wrench to apply outward force as the bolt spins. This will break up the rust between the bolt and metal portion of the bushing. Be sure to soak it with rust penetrator. If the metal collar has broken loose from the rubber you can remove the remaining rubber. Look for a seam on the collar. You can spread the collar with an air chisel. The bolt should come out easily. Be sure the vehicle is sitting on the ground when you tighten the bolt to prevent improperly loading the new bushing. Good luck.