still tranny troubles

Booreatta

I give up, have tried everything to get the tranny in my 84 Riv.to shift correctly. It always has shifted early and would never downshift at the right time and then it would fall off the power curve and lug down the road till i manually downshifted it

Have tried everybodys suggestions over the past year and now it is time to yank it out and do a complete rebuild. If that dont work I wont know what is next. The car only has 56000 miles and I hope that the problems are caused by lack of use. It is a really nice convertible and I am hoping that this is the final fix

While I don't have much to offer I feel your pain. I've had two trans rebuild in the last couple of months. The first was perfect, the second one is going back to the trans shop Friday. I didn't find much info myself....nor anything here. Did someone mess with something on yours before you bought it? I've heard of people doing that and it never ended up shifting correctly. I can tell you that you need to almost interview whoever is going to be rebuilding it to make sure they are 1) knowledgeable and 2) have access to others that are knowledgeable about the 325-4L...meanwhile I'd love to see some pics of your Fiero... PM me some info about it too. Maybe someone will chime in here and be able to help both of us out. Mine is still leaking down all the fluid from the torque convt overnight. I'm still researching this "check valve"....

I'm installing a 200-4R in my '64 Riviera. I did a ton of research on the swap before I ever started collecting pieces. I've found out that the 325-4L is the FWD equivalent of the 200-4R. A lot of the maladies that you're describing parallel symptoms of the 200-4R if the TV (Throttle valve) cable is not adjusted correctly, is too short, or too long. Take a look at this website and see if some of the things you're experiencing don't sound familiar. The article is lengthy but well worth reading.

Bowtie Overdrives | TV Made EZ

Find a transmission shop with a guy working there who's at least 60 years old. That means that he was mature enough to learn what was going on when these transmissions were new and he's still at it. Probably a wealth of information. Or contact the tech guys at places like Bowtie Overdrives, Raptor Transmissions, Art Carr, etc.

Good luck and don't give up.

Ed

Well now for the up date....Picked up the car this evening and it is doing just great. It seems to shift when I think it should and downshifts when it needs to. I have only drivien it for around 20 miles or so and dont see any problems. I have dealt with this tranny now for 2 years and I dont want to declare victory till I am able to drive it some more. The mech that did the work said that it was just worn out. The car only has about 55000 miles so I think that it has to do with lack of use that caused most of the problems. I had the whole thing rebuilt and the converter replaced. I plan to drive it to the Buick Nationals in Ames Iowa so we will see how it does.

I appreciate everybodys advise over the past years It let me know where to start. I know nothing about trannys but I am learing. I will keep everybody posted after some miles but as of right now everything looks good

Ed I would love to go but I am also the Division director of the Reatta Division of the BCA and I can only do 1 meet per year. I am taking the Riviera to Ames so I will most likely catch some flack for that but thats ok. This will be the last year that I will do the Reatta Division thing so maybe I can go to some Riviera events. It is really tough when you own two great cars....Reatta and Riviera, both are convertibles....Oh what to do.

Both cars are really great and both members of the Reatta and the Riviera group are super nice people also but decisions have to be made

Drive carefully and have fun

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Wichita Kansas