turning over engine manually

Guest tom pre

Tom, take out the plugs and leave them out for now. Squirt in some PB Blaster, Kroil or whatever you have handy for today. We have all read that a mixture of 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone is the best, but I used Kroil and it worked. Let it sit for a day or so, every few hours, add a little more of the brew.

After a day, I would then engage the crank at the 1 to 3 position and stand on the crank, which will apply the pressure of your body weight on the push/clockwise cycle. Balance yourself by holding onto the radiator shell, then start lightly jumping on the handle while standing on it and it is engaged. If it is going to move you will feel it slightly move. It could also break loose quickly so make sure that you have a good hand support on the shell. This is how I got mine to break loose. Mind you, it took a good month to do it. I cannot tell you how many jumps I made on that crank. But it finally moved and gradually it got better to the point that I was able to use the starter to turn it over. It was a pencil lead line of rust on only two cylinders. It will come, you just have to take time.

Keep us posted.

Guest tom pre

hi john, thanks for info on my 1924 45 buick. yesturday & today gave a good drink of pb blaster. no luck yet. will continue with the program

Guest tom pre

thanks folks. im on my second day of pb blaster & my second hand made crank.agree with mark, lubricate crank. some one recommended that i put in 3rd gear and push/ pull him around. whats your opinion on this? thanks.

Tom, I tried that. All I did was skid across the driveway with the wheels locked up. A better idea is to drop the pan and put a flywheel turner on it so you can get some better leverage. It will also give you a chance to clean out all the gunk in the pan. I think the drag is a last resort effort before you have to remove the pistons. Keep soaking.....

Guest simonmeridew

any comments on using an impact wrench on a bolt screwed into the crankshaft ?? kind of a gentle back and forth??

simonmeridew