MYSTERY MARVEL CARB

Guest Mike in England

Guest Mike in England

Has anyone seen a Marvel carb like this one? There are lots of variations I have seen literature for but not one like this. My 27 Buick seems to run rich as it doesnt need the choke from cold. I understand the screw (top right) is the slow running and screw (bottom right) is for the main jet. Its a bit of a leap of faith I'm afraid but any advice on the adjustment sequence would be much welcomed!

post-67656-143138226917_thumb.jpg

It appears to be one of the aftermarket carbs sold by Borg-Warner. These were marketed under brand names: Johnson, Marvel, Marvel-Schebler, and Rayfield (and possibly some others). Design was originally Rayfield. These units were known for selling for less than a carburetor kit for the original carburetor, not necessarily for quality!

In the absence of any definative literature; a more or less beginning point for any carb with adjustments such as this would be 1 turn on the idle, and 2 1/2 turns on the main. Some of these old units have inverse idle circuits (in for rich). I cannot tell from the picture.

I would suggest looking for a more documented unit.

Jon.