1939/1940 Packard 120 Convertible Coupes

jimm

Hello All,

I am looking at two Packard 120 convertible coupes, one a 1939 and the other a 1940, and have a couple of questions. Both cars have overdrive, and I am aware that 1939 was the first year for overdrive. Others have commented on the fact that the overdrive was changed in 1940, and a wiring loom company makes a distinction between "early" and "late" 1939 overdrive (the latter having a "reverse switch"). I'm not sure what the reverse switch is or what purpose it serves, but is there any compelling reason to avoid an early overdrive, or are they both reliable? Also, the overdrive knob is to the right of the steering column on the 1939. Is the knob in the same location on the 1940? And would the convertible top switch on the 1940 be just to the left of the steering column?

The 1939 convertible has dual sidemounts with no covers. The owner told me that covers were not available on 120 models, which does not seem right to me. Anyone know if they were available on 120s? Lastly, the 1940 has an interior done in English wool, consisting of pleats all the way across the seat. Most open Packards I have seen had leather interiors, and the seats had either no pleats or three groups of four pleats evenly spaced. Can anyone tell me the correct material and pattern for a convertible coupe? Thanks very much for your help!

Jim

Couple quick comments, and you are welcome to contact me directly flackmaster@sbcglobal.net first, the 39 and 40 overdrives are very different, the 40 being more sophisticated, with the additional potential problems to go with it, though both can be reliable and enjoyable. The "late" or service revision to the 39 overdrive was important to lockout the overdrive when in reverse so as not to potentially damage the unit. The overdrive cable location I'm pretty sure is the same, and you are right, 1940 was the first year for a vacuum assisted top mechanism. Both 1939 and 1940 sidemounted cars had metal covers. Different appearance 39/40, but definitely covered. And finally, the "standard" interior for convertibles is leather. Sure, you can argue that you could order anything you wanted on a special order basis, but unless the car comes with documentation of being delivered that way from the factory, me thinks wrong for a convertible. Given the misinformation being provided by the seller, I would be wary, and if you can, post some pictures in this forum and let the panel of experts decide...

My son sometimes calls me "Captain Obvious, Defender of the Already Known," but just to be clear, remember that 120's are not Classics as recognized by the Classic Car Club of America. With the prices they're bringing these days (and don't get me wrong, I've driven a 1937 Junior series convertible coupe, and they are delightful cars to drive!) someone might be led astray. Of course, if the CCCA isn't of interest, it's not a consideration.

I also agree that leather would have been in 99.99 percent of all open cars back then (so I think that's right, one out of every 10,000 might have fabric??) With leather, top down in a rainstorm, you can clean it up. Fabric, you'll have a mess on your hands. It just wasn't done.

Good luck on your decision!

Guest bkazmer

I believe bedford cord with leather bolsters was offered as a factory option in some 41's (don't have the reference stuff here now). Can't say for 39/40

My fractional percentage for open car cloth interiors was a WAG for sure, so don't pay much attention to it. Surely there were some cars with cloth in them, I just can't imagine it was very many, as impractical as it would be in an open car.

I can say that there've been days when I sat on black leather that had been sitting in the sun, when I'd sure wished it was cloth!

best dc

OK Dave, I understand. I agree that cloth is nicer to sit on, on a hot day exposed to the sun. From a trimmer's perspective, I have yet to upholster a pre-WW1 open car with fabric. However, just because there's a wall blocking my view of a bush, doesn't make the bush not exist. How's that for a metaphor and a double negative all at once?