WTB 1937 President Part

I am seeking a universal slip joint with the yoke. It is the universal joint at the rear of the overdrive and takes the propeller shaft from the diff.

The part number is G2 all bits as shown in the President 8 " Catalog of Chassis Parts"

I need the primarily the bits numbered 2,3,4,5,6.

I know you have all heard this before but I LEFT it with a parts shop so they could match the fitting of the universal exactly and they promptly lost it .

(@#$%)

This part, I understand is used on other Stude vehicles but I don't have the interchange manual.

So much fun !!

Guest stude8

My 1929-40 chassis parts book says the following

Group G2-1 Slip Joint for 2C & 3C (1936 & 37 Pres) is Pt #187442 [For shaft type E]

Unfortunately they don't elaborate on dimensions or spline count.

I don't see that part number called out for anything other than 1936 & 37 eight cylinder cars but this catalog is only for 8 cyl models.

Stude8

I have the G1 shaft that joins to the diff so I can get the spline, I have ordered a copy of the interchange manual and hope to get a possible replacemant that way,

I case I can't get a part I shall obtain a u joint and match a yoke, then I should be able to machine a female spline off the long shaft. I know it is a bit of a perfomance but it is nothing like the performance I did in the parts shop.

If I can get a interchange part number would you assist me with possible people who may have one.

I do thank you for your help... Regards Rod

Guest stude8

Another substitution would be something we did on a 1920 Mercer 15 years ago. We made a new replacement drive shaft with an adapter plate to the rear hub of transmission and fitted the new drive shaft with GMC truck ujoint cross piece and slip yokes. This was a 50 HP (SAE) engine with lots of torque but has always held up well even on a race track!

Even with custom adapter plate machine work the whole cost was less than $500, most drive shaft shops can turn this out in a few days at most. Much of their work comes from trucks broken down on the road with twisted off shafts or yokes so they are experienced at custom work on a moments notice.

Stude8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rbk, sorry I have not got back to you sooner, I have taken a break from work and took my wife to Bali ( only 3 hrs flight from Perth) Thought it might be good idea before I pay for the spraypainting.

The unijoint I have is the sliding spline with X shape bearing.

Regards

The "X" shaped bearing is what we call a "SPICER " joint.

You have those and that is the good one to have now.

The Disk type joints were used on several 1937 models and were 7" steel

disks with the bolts encased in rubber.

They made nice quiet joints but the rubber deteriorated from age.

Often they were replaced by the "Spicer" joints which were easier to service.

Bob Kapteyn

I am in California now visiting my daughter.

We drove to Glendale from Joliet and continued after the meet to Pasadena.

When I get back I will try to find that splined universal joint.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
I am in California now visiting my daughter.

We drove to Glendale from Joliet and continued after the meet to Pasadena.

When I get back I will try to find that splined universal joint.

Bob

I do appreciate the assistance, I have been contacting all my sources here in Aust but at this time nothing.

I know that the joint was used on other makes but the interchange manual I have does not give any joy. I have had to resort to taking the X section to the local vintage car club and hunted thru dozens of yokes to see if I could get a match , but to no avail.

If you find the part that would be terrific.

Please let me know

Regards