What year?

BUKE

Hi everybodywell I found this in a field in Rhode Island(I really did) the man said that it was going to go to crusher. Noooo so I gave him $300 and tow it to my friends house so my wife couldn't find it. Well winter is over spring is here and his wife said it had to go so like a thief in the night I snuck into one of my garage hoping she never sees it. Well it looks like a 1940 and I think it is but nothing fits my 40 century so before I sell it for parts I need to know exactly what it is it has no vin plate on it and it looks like there never was I have no papers so I am just not sure. If anybody's interested in all car just let me know it's yours for the price I paid for it plus $50 for gas. I am going away for a week of R&R but I will get back to you as soon as I get back from my vacation thank you

have a great Buick day

Frank

The car is indeed a 1940 Buick, and it's either a Super Model 51 (most likely) or Roadmaster Model 71.

This was an entirely new body design, and you're correct that it had very little in common with the 1940 Special and Century series cars, which used bodies largely carried over from the 1939 models.

It's a '40 Super or Roadmaster. The reason that none of the parts will fit your Century is that it has the regular body like the Special while Supers and Roadmasters have the new-for-'40 "torpedo body" like the Pontiac Torpedo, Oldsmobile Series 90 Custom Cruiser, the La Salle Special 52 and the Cadillac 62.

Judging by the aircleaner, I'd say this is a Super Model 51. What name is on the hood pull panels (although these have been known to be changed through the years)? When you state no VIN plate, do you mean no Body Plate on the cowl or no plate on the frame near the starter? What number is engraved on the engine above the starter? Rustyshepherd is correct that many of the body parts will not fit your Century due to the difference in the bodies. Also the Century uses the 320 CI engine while I believe your car is a Super which uses the smaller 248 CI engine so there is limited mechanical interchangeability.