58 Oldsmobile Battery

Guest Ralph 78

Guest Ralph 78

I need help in identifying a source for a properly dimensioned battery for my '58 Olds Super 88. Based on the dimensions of the battery tray, the correct battery appears to be an odd size--or, at least, a size not commonly used today.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph, the 58 (actually 54-64) uses a Group 60K which is not commonly available. You'll have to go thru a reproduction battery manufacturer to get one, and they can get expensive.

60K Battery

A Group 51 battery which is commonly used in late-model Hondas is a good fit here. It's a little smaller than the 60K, but it is long and narrow and will fit in the Olds tray. It also comes as a 51R which has the terminals reversed if needed for your application.

Yah, I know, Honda part in a vintage Oldsmobile... it's one of them things that Ames Performance (the Pontiac guys) would say "fit and function are acceptable".

I can tell you that as recently as a couple of years ago, you could find a modern (i.e., not reproduction) AC Delco 60K battery; the folks at Ohio Auto in Canton, Ohio had one for my '62 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta wagon. Didn't want to spend the big $$ as I do for the 60K reproduction battery I have for the '62 Starfire--don't tell, but I spent even more on one of those with the stock retro casing and caps, but with the modern guts inside.

Glenn has probably forgotten more about Oldsmobiles than I'll ever know to begin with, but I had thought the '58 may have used one of the longer, narrower 12V batteries; perhaps I am confusing that with an earlier vintage (perhaps even 6V battery which would be from '52 on back for Olds). I should know better, would LOVE to have a '58 someday!

But, as the man said, the 60K is for 1954-64 Oldsmobiles, per the Antique Auto Battery website:

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/prod03.htm

Edited by starfireelvis
update information (see edit history)