1927 Buick torque spec.

Guest 1927Buick

Hi Glen

I just went through the same issue about a month ago when I re-ringed my 1925 Standard 6. Can I suggest to be very careful using the specs that Leif has provided, especially for head bolts as these specs are universal and assume new (not 80+ year old parts!) Head bolts most especially should be carefully tentioned and I would not exceed 60ft/lb!

Here is an exert from my earlier message - 2 weeks ago

Ben

Re: Torque Settings - 1925 engine (standard)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi All

For those interested, I have now completed the engine rebuild for the 1925, which consisted of new rings, straightened conrods, honed cylinder bores, cleaned up big end bearings and crank (not ground) - checked big end clearances with plastic guage. The head was also dipped and vlaves ground. 60 years of grease removed from crank case.

The first run went well and there is 10 miles on the clock. In respect to torque settings, in the end I chose the following:

Head - After carefully cleaning out all of the treads in both the block and bolts, adding tread sealant - we were able to make 60 ft/lb. This was on the upper end of what I would recommend and you could feel that the bolts were reaching their limit. I would recommend 50-55 ft/lb for future work.

Big End (conrod bearings) - After realising that the pistons go in through the bottom of the engine, the rings go on the pistons from the top of the bore and the conical top face of the cylinder bores is designed to be used as a built in ring compressor (you can't use a ring compressor on a block that is not flat!), we got the bottom end back together. We used the torque setting of 25 ft/lb. (We had clearances of .003 to .004 on the big ends).

I am pleased to say that the engine is sounding very nice and there seems to be very little (none) blow by from the breather and exhaust after this short run, which is great to say that the bore was not perfect.:) Stay tuned.

Ben<!-- google_ad_section_end -->