Just bought 1916/17 Kelsey. Looking for 1920-24 Kelsey cars,parts. Leads?

Dear Friends I just bought this 1916/17 Kelsey prototype,which was the pre-production model for the 1920-24 Kelseys built in N.J. by Mr Kelsey,of the three wheeled 1910-12 fame. It is a 103 inch WB with a 20 HP 4 cylinder engine made by Massnick Phipps of Detroit. It has an unusual friction drive setup at the BACK of the car,on the rear axle,rather than under the seat,like on a Metz and Cartercar. This was Mr. Kelseys personal car for several decades after the closing of the Kelsey factory in N.J. in 1924.He moved his family in this car to Troy N.Y. where he became the longtime President of the Troybuilt rototiller Company. This car was stored at the top floor of that building in Troy until around 1988. Kelsey bought a used touring car body of unknown orgin and mounted it on this chassis,which he removed from the car and discarded long ago. Otherwise it is original and complete,and the fenders from that unknown car are still on there.Does anyone recognize these fenders that are in their original gray paint?If so maybe it will lead us to the body he used on this car,which he started in 1916 and completed in 1917. The body was probably from the 1913-15 era. Massnick Phipps engines sometimes had "Perkins" cast in script into the side of the block,and were built for automotive and marine use. There may have also been a Perkins car built with this engine. MP engines were used in 1916-17 Woods Mobilettes,1914-18 Princess,1914-18, Saginaw,built by Lehr Motor Co. ,1915 Pontiac of Pontiac Chassis Co.,1916-18 Yale,and 1914 Fisher.Kelsey went on to build several hundred Kelsey cars in N.J. from 1920-24. Bodies were from Milspaugh-Irish of Detroit. Does anyone know of any 1920-24 Kelsey cars or parts in existence,as well as a late teens or early 20s touring body made by Milspaugh Irish,that I might inspect and/or purchase? I would also like to buy a spare Massnick Phipps engine if anyone has one. Your thoughts?? George Albright,Ocala,Fla. cell 352 843 1624 email gnalbright@gmail.com<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-62459-143138198827_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138198828_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138198829_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138198831_thumb.jpg

Was researching the cars that used Massnick Phipps engines and stumbled onto this photo of a 1914 Perkins,made in Detroit,with a MP engine,like in my Kelsey car. It is on the Russian website www.autogallery.org.ru The interesting thing is that it appears to have been a photo from an Ebay auction sometime in the past,whereby this car was offered for sale. I was not able to drill it any further. Does any one remember the auction,and/or know the whereabouts of this 1914 Perkins? Onward! George<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-62459-143138198834_thumb.jpg

George,

Having a Cartercar I examined with interest the friction drive unit. Rather than finding some stodgy teens body for it, why not make it a display car? Exhibit the drive unit and leave the rear exposed , by making it with speedster like bucket seats.

Respectfully,

Joe

Dear Joe: I can find a period touring body like was originally on it,or as you said on the AACA Horseless Carriage Forum on this subject,just put a speedster cowl and bucket seats on it,to show off the rear friction drive setup. Will consider both. Does anyone out there have a pair of teens metal bucket seats,and or a speedster cowl and oval or round gas tank,like on a 1914-15 Metz,Overland,Hudson,etc? Please see the orange 1914 Metz speedster I donated to the Don Garlits Museum at www.garlits.com This is how it should probably be set up to display the rear friction drive setup. Good Thought! George

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a factory photo and info on the back of it,of a 1922 Kelsey production model. It is thought several hundred were built with various 4 and 6 cylinder engines from 1920-24. This car has friction drive in the rear,like my 1917 Kelsey prototype has. Notice how appointed this car is,with a tinted green glass sun visor,Ks on the hubcaps,fancy radiator crest,etc,etc. Any one know where any of these are or parts of them are? Thanks,George

post-62459-143138214005_thumb.jpg

post-62459-14313821425_thumb.jpg