Chrome and stainless color on a '39.....

buick4547

I need some help on what the proper color is that should adorn the exterior chrome and stainless on a 1939 Special. I am speaking about the groove, for want of a better term, that is in the center of the stainless body strip that runs along the side of my Model 48 and along the runningboards as well. Mine is painted red, but I think the proper color is black. Also the word "Special" within the leading edge of the body strip is red as well. The grooves in the door handles, trunk handle, and tail lights are also painted red. Should these areas all be black as are the letters spelling out Buick on the hubcaps?

My car is black, and I like the red as a contrast, but I suspect that black is the proper color. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Jim.

Allan is the one to answer this, but red is the color for the Special lettering on the bonnet trim. I seem to recall a thread that suggests that the running board and side trim is unpainted. The other stuff (handles, etc) are black I think. Our coupe is sequoia cream and has black contrasting stripes on the wheels. I forget the contasting color for black cars sorry.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Jim.

Allan is the one to answer this, but red is the color for the Special lettering on the bonnet trim. I seem to recall a thread that suggests that the running board and side trim is unpainted. The other stuff (handles, etc) are black I think. Our coupe is sequoia cream and has black contrasting stripes on the wheels. I forget the contasting color for black cars sorry.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks, Grant. I'll wait to see if Allan replies, or someone else with knowledge on this subject. Thanks again. My wheels are original, never been restored, and are black with silver colored concentric stripes. I know that is correct, its just the chrome strips that throws me.

Red lettering for "Special". No paint on other side or running board moldings. Door handle, trunk handle, and tailight depressions are black just as Grant posted. Your wheels are correct. Sometimes the sales literature takes a little license with these details as well as other restorers.

Red lettering for "Special". No paint on other side or running board moldings. Door handle, trunk handle, and tailight depressions are black just as Grant posted. Your wheels are correct. Sometimes the sales literature takes a little license with these details as well as other restorers.

Thanks!

Jim