Vinyl repair

drummerboy

Hello all

On the rear panel on the drivers side of my 71, a piece of vinyl has gone missing where the vinyl wraps around the form at the top near the corner. The area needing repair is approximately 1/2" by 1/2". Small yet annoying. Has anyone had success using vinyl repair kits and, if so, can someone recommend a kit and where to get one? I'm near Vancouver, BC if that helps. Thanks!

Guest Ranger

I haven't had luck with vinyl repair kits. I've found the best solution is to visit a large car dealer and find out who does their interior (vinyl/leather) repair and contact that person. I have a friend who has been in the vinyl/leather repair business for 30 years, they can work wonders.

Good Luck

I'll second Jim's advice. I worked for "Dr. Vinyl" - Plastic Surgery and Other Cosmetic Operations - a company in the Kansas City area in the mid-80's. The materials and tools in the aftermarket kits now on today's market are nothing compared to what we had to work with. They can't produce enough heat to melt the filler into the old vinyl, nor can their "graining material" begin to recreate the grain you need. You have to get the filler almost to a boiling point. If you can use a piece of paper with your finger to replicate the grain, "it ain't near hot enough."

Find the professional and pay him for his talent.

Ed

Thanks Jim and Ed for the advice. I am grateful that two such august ROA members took the time to reply to this thread. I also posed this question to the Yahoo boattail group and got similar replies. The land yacht is now getting body work done (lower quarters, trunk pan, repaint,etc.) and the shop also has an interior restoration "division". I have talked to them and they will do the repair. I just like to try to do the "minor" jobs myself and was hoping that this one fell into that category. Cheers!