68 Riviera Body Side molding

tim63riv

Hi everyone!

One of my students recently purchased a decent 68 Riviera that needs some paint and interior work but is otherwise a nice car. He was questioning me about the body side moldings he has. They look like some that I have seen on 70 Riviera's but I don't know that I have seen them on a 68 before. They are full length and start out thin on the fender and door and then widen out on the rear of the door, then taper down as they continue on the quarter panel. Are these correct for a 68 or was someone modifing it with 70 Riviera trim?

Thanks,

Tim

Guest dcdpgh

Tim,

It sounds like you are describing the optional custom bright exterior moldings, which was dealer sales code W5 / UPC code W13. My '68 is fitted with these chrome/stainless panels that fill in the area below the standard body side molding trim. Does it look something like attached picture?

post-47069-143138191592_thumb.jpg

Dan,

The moldings on his 68 are at the body line on the upper part of the fender, door and quarter panel. The only Riviera that I have seen this on is the 70. It is possible that the previous owner installed them on this particular 68! From what I am told, he owned the car since 1980.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I glanced back through my collection of Riviews (starting with Vol 1, #1) and then looked at a lot of Google images and didn't find any moldings like you're describing on anything for '68 or '69; just '70 as you suspected.

Ed

Guest dcdpgh

Tim,

I am far from an expert, but it does then sound like you are describing a trim that is not factory correct for '68.

Dan

Ed and Dan,

I suspect the previous owner wanted the 70 side molding installed on his 68 Riviera. I told Andy (my student) that it would be a lot of work to close the trim holes back up, but it was up to him to decide what to do. It would be the time to decide now before it gets painted!

I don't think it would impact the value of the car very much to have the 70 trim installed on it. It seems to be a nicely optioned car, and he is not talking about doing a "Donk" with it either, so that is a good sign!

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by tim63riv (see edit history)