425 Nailhead overbore question

Jolly_John

Guest ahhh65riv

John,

I would be if I were you. I have heard others state "never bore more than .030 over on a 425." My own experience agrees with that due to my own findings. There are/were core shift issues, allong with the "thin wall casting" schenario that does not bode well in your favor. Without sonic testing of the bores you will never know for sure, so I would do that before you got too deep in it. There are ways to do a partial hardblock fill to help re-inforce low in the bores as well.

On the other hand, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water either. Sleeving IS a viable option!

Erik

Guest wildcat465

I have put together a couple of 425's that were overbored 0.040", both run fine. Unless you are doing a serious hop up, it should be OK.

How much is it? What is the code on the block? (KT, KX, LT, LX, MT, MX) I may be interested if you pass.

Hi John!

I would want the block sonically tested at .040 overbore. It might be OK, but it is taking a chance. I think 401's are just fine and personally wouldn't pay a premium for a 425. Dan said you were looking for a project, let me know if you are!

Thanks,

Tim