New Wheels!

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

Hey guys,

This question is actually about one of my other rides, but I really respect the input that you guys provide, so I thought I would post here. I have a 97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS as my daily driver and currently have 4 studded Firestone Winterforce tires mounted on my stock 15in hubcap covered steel wheels. I need to buy a set of spring/summer tires so I can get these winter tires off soon, so I was thinking of purchasing another set of wheels so the installation will be easy between seasons. The wheel size could be 15-17 inches depending on the best deal that I could get and the wheels don't have to be brand new/perfect looking. Anyone here have any suggestions on websites/online businesses that I should investigate where I could get a good deal on wheels that would fit my ride? I already checked tirerack.com and the wheels there were a bit more than I want to spend. For me the cheaper the better, as long as they look decent and aren't warped or bent. I thought my best bet would be to score some used black steel police wheels with the chrome trim, but I don't really know where to look to score those. Any suggestions would be awesome, I really need to get these studded tires off soon.

Thanks,

JCRULZ

PS My Grand Marquis is silver in color with navy blue pinstriping. The wheel bolt pattern is 5 bolts with 114.5 spacing.

Edited by jcrules78 (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Sounds like you looking for used ones, so search local junkyards and see what they have in the size bolt pattern you need.

There is always ebay and craigs list too, or google for used rims in the make-model-size you want.

There may be a local shop in your area that sells used rims and hubcaps too.

Problem with buying online is the shipping costs.

Those police rims your looking for should be available outside any donut shop around 2 am or so. Good luck getting all four! :cool:

Start with Ebay....... the worst part might be the shipping.

Wheels for a Crown Vic will fit your Mercury ......maybe even Lincolns with rear drive.

You may need to do some research.

Update...... I did a quick search and it appears you have 5 lugs on a 114.3 bolt circle (4 1/2 inches)

You should have lots of choices.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Guest jcrules78

Yeah, thanks Barney, sorry about that typo with the spacing. The Crown Vic/ Grand Marq has a 114.3 (4.5) spacing not 114.5. I went to a local junkyard today and found 4 15in alloy wheels in great shape on a 96 Lincoln Towncar. I am trying to find out if the backspacing and inset is identical to the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. I think it might be a score. 50 bucks each wheel. Not bad!

JCRULZ

Guest jcrules78

Barney, have you ever seen a master list of wheel specs from Domestic and Foreign car producers that lists different wheel sizes for each make and model along with bolt pattern, backspacing, etc? Is there some sort of database out there on the internet where you can plug in a make and model and get the wheel specs? That would be a great idea for a site if no one has done it yet.

JCRULZ