Chrome confusion (1955)

Guest MV10

On the HAMB, I had posted a thread about my search for various chrome bits for my 55 Super. A guy contacted me and gave me a good price on some decent-quality tail light housings. I assumed they were from a Super, and to my knowledge (and his), all the housings were the same size anyway.

To my surprise, the parts he sent are almost 2" taller. Even more odd-seeming to me is that they're stamped 40-60 on the back (left in the photo below), which I assume means the Special-sized models, whereas mine (right in the photo) are stamped 50-70.

What are these from? My friend with a Special was sure they should be the same size, too, although we haven't measured yet. I wondered if maybe they're from a continental kit or something unusual like that? The extra material is at the bottom -- the bolt holes all line up relative to the top, the same lenses fit -- it just has about 2" more metal at the bottom.

IMG_0309.jpg

To my surprise, the parts he sent are almost 2" taller. Even more odd-seeming to me is that they're stamped 40-60 on the back (left in the photo below), which I assume means the Special-sized models, whereas mine (right in the photo) are stamped 50-70.

IMG_0309.jpg

40-60 fit Special and Century

50-70 fit Super and Roadmaster

Willie

Yeah, I figured that from the stampings on the back. The guy claimed they came off a Roadmaster, but he had them on a Special and the original owner did own a Century as well as a Roadmaster (and a Super). I was just surprised that the "smaller" body style would have much larger tail light housings like that.

Edited by McGuireV10 (see edit history)