SPRING TUNE UP

Mssr. Bwatoe

Gotta change wires, they have been on for 25 years+ taped ends etc, I hated to do it..made 'em in high school with original ends under the instruction of Lincoln Tom Mauder...

I would like to know what the flat rate time is for R&R plug wires for a 12?? If you guys have a flat rate book..let us know..

Drained coolant, pulled waterpumps and rad..got a slow seeper..nasty coolant stains on dove grey paint...

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

More fun with cameras and v-12s Why is my manifold stained so?? I have noticed a damp carb after long hot drive..no flow of leak..slimey..Iam proud to say that my pcv system (stock draw tube in air cleaner ) obviously works..it has oilly residue to prove it, no fumes from oil filler..(which is the air intake by definition) at least yet!!

I am gonna reseal my carb...Should I check the jetting ?? what do you guys suggest?? I run duals which leans it out some..

Did you know that prewar conduits are different lengths??

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Jeff, the carburetor jetting should be OK but you might check the power valve If it's been in for a few years as they can leak. With the base removed I fill the bowl with gas and set it on a glass jar so I can see any drips from it. If you have noticed any dampness around the base, a leaking power valve may be the cause. The '40 and '41 carbs were equipped with #54 mainjets while the '42 to '48's came with #57's? Not sure why they jetted them richer as the 06H carbs are basically the same, maybe because of the larger engine in the '42's and early '46's and then just continued jetting them this way when they returned to the 292 engine size?

I think "technique" is everything when restringing the spark plug wires. I've done several sets ( without pull strings or grease) and it takes less than an hour. It goes easier and quicker with out the terminal plate wire-ends installed. I install them after the wires are in place. The Left conduit does get tight with the engine wires sharing space.

The staining on your manifoldis in the area of the heat riser so that may be a contributing factor? And, it might be a good time to check for any heat riser burn-thru areas into the intake carb tower.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

wires were not that hard. no lube necessary..i missed #9, ran it to wrong cap..it was difficult to remove and restring ..but starting with furthist first..no big deal...

waiting for radiator to return from cleaning..skips pumps on..a little cleaning..when jake get my dist back from set up..I be ready ..but it will probably snow...