Coupe and body info. needed.....

I have the back half of what I think is a 1937 Dodge coupe body. Will this back half interchange with all Chrysler products, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth? I see that each of these makes have a slightly different wheelbase with Chrysler being the longest, then DeSoto, then Dodge and smallest is the Plymouth. If the bodies are basically the same, I assume that the wheelbase difference is made up from the firewall forward? If I decide to salvage the coupe back half, I need to know what are my options for using a tore up sedan as a donor. Last, is the 1939 Chrysler product coupes similar enough to use for donor parts? Thanks in advance for any tech help.

Regards, Alan

Guest Bill-W
I have the back half of what I think is a 1937 Dodge coupe body. Will this back half interchange with all Chrysler products, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth? I see that each of these makes have a slightly different wheelbase with Chrysler being the longest, then DeSoto, then Dodge and smallest is the Plymouth. If the bodies are basically the same, I assume that the wheelbase difference is made up from the firewall forward? If I decide to salvage the coupe back half, I need to know what are my options for using a tore up sedan as a donor. Last, is the 1939 Chrysler product coupes similar enough to use for donor parts? Thanks in advance for any tech help.

Regards, Alan

The Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler models have the wheelbase difference ahead of the firewall. Plymouth, though, used a body 3" shorter, the difference done in the floor ahead of the rear axle.

1939 Plymouth bodies are similar enough to the 1937-38 models, but not Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler. Those three received a major overhall for 1939

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Hello Bill,

Now your expanation is sinking in. To use a Plymouth, what door length would I need to use in order to fit this body? Or.....would I end up building a custom fit door just to make this work? I already would be prepared to modify the back side of the door upper corner to follow the rounded arc in that matching area of the body. I have located a 1937 Plymouth 2 door sedan that would be an excellent donor, if I would not end up with a big convolution in the end. Please share any ideas you may have. Thanks for your response.

Regards, Alan :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in your previous thread,I think you have a 39 plymouth there. those taillight holes looked like they were for a flush-fit while the 37-38 still were on stands. The fender would have one hole where the wire came out surrounded by about 3 bolt holes. The long chrome strip also looked like 39