Instrument glass for 39

Guest Kejsaren

Guest 39convertible

hi

I started looking around for a company that could produce a glass to my speedometer.

what is produced to 1939 is only for miles but I live in Sweden and then there will be kilometer scale.

my original glass is bleached and the glass is cracked.

I have found a company that can help me but they want a good original to scan and produce a good image to the screen print.

on my glass the text for those 4 smaller gauges are bad and I was wondering if anyone has a good original glass and who wish to take a good picture and email me.

alternatively, a good glass that I can buy.

thanks

Janne

1939 66c

Edited by 39convertible (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Janne.

A good graphic designer should be able to use what you have as an example and use their computer program to touch up and restore your numbers. Bobs Automobilia sell speedo glass, but I don't know whether they have both early and late model glass. We use kilometres here in New Zealand, so around town, 50kph=30mph, 70=40, and 100=65 for the highway. If you're game, 160=100! We don't have a problem with mph speedometers here.

Cheers

Grant

Guest 39convertible

Yes he could do that but when i said the letters is bad, i meant they partly gone and he hade almost nothing to start whith.

Janne

Guest 39convertible

Hi and thanks for the pictures.

images were slightly blurry, can you scan them from the other side and yes i would be very happy if you could send them right to my email address

jan@portman.se

Janne

Guest 39convertible

by the way

is it 2 different glass ?

i noticed that there seems to be 2 different colour on them,

Janne

Guest Grant Magrath

Is a new glass from Bob's Automobilia not an option? We got ours from there. It's very nice. They send it taped to a piece of plywood. We have a broken one I could try and scan for you.

The Safety First and the other marks on the backing plate were done by a graphics guy here in Christchurch, New Zealand. He probably still has the info on file. As you can see from this old pic, it didn't come out too bad.

Cheers

Grant

n1180632791_30314996_7552.jpg

One of mine came from Bob's and the other from eBay. They both did speedos, clock and radio glass (for the sonomatic). They are a bugger of a thing to scan as the light reflects through the glass. For the aggravation and costs involved in getting it done and done correctly, I agree with Grant, just buy the set from Bob's. (the new website is a bit of a pain compared to the old one and it currently doesn't show the glasses I'll scan the page from the catalogue when I get home)

I'm not sure which glass I'll put on mine yet, early or later version. I should use the earlier but I'm leaning towards the later.

Danny

Edited by danhar1960 (see edit history)

Guest 39convertible

Grant

If your graphics guy still have the file i love to have it.

it may solve my problem very fast and easy.

maybe we just have to change the speedo scale.

please forward my email adress to him

jan@portman.se

Thanks

Janne

Sorry for the bum steer Janne but looking at the 2009-2010 Bob's Automoblia catalogue (hard copy, not website) it seems he no longer has them for '39s.

The glasses do not scan at all on the other side and yes the early glass does look slightly yellow compared to the later glass.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath
Grant

If your graphics guy still have the file i love to have it.

it may solve my problem very fast and easy.

maybe we just have to change the speedo scale.

please forward my email adress to him

jan@portman.se

Thanks

Janne

No worries Janne.

I'll make a couple of calls. Bear in mind that the guy only did the backing plate, not the glass!

Cheers

Grant

Guest 39convertible

Hmmm

i think i missunderstand you Grant

but i dont know exactly what you mean with Safety first etc.

is it a script on the plate that goes behind the glass the plate that looks like it was etched with some sort of waves.

i can´t see any moore letters on my instrument, maybe they are totaly faded out.

Janne

Guest 39convertible

Grant

i see what you mean with safety first but that is printed on the glass.

and still no evidence of it on my km scale glasses.

Janne

Guest Grant Magrath

Sorry for misinforming you Janne.

I should have looked at my own picture! I was refering to the "Bright Lights" on either side of the high beam indicator light. The wavy patterned piece is chrome plated. Did your car have a kilometre speedo glass from new?

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Janne.

Just checked that instrument glass, and the good news is that it's not broken. The bad news is that there's virtually no numbers or lettering visible.

The other good news is the instrument markings for your gauge backgrounds are available from Dennis Thorpe Signs, dtsigns@ihug.co.nz . He makes transfers in white on a clear background that you can put straight over your painted backing plates. Does that make sense?

Cheers

Grant

Guest 39convertible

Yes Grant

the km scale is std here in sweden

about the backing plate, the speedo parts is with my friends speedo shop about 1 1/2 hour from here and i´ll have to talk to him about it.

he told me that the only part we need is a new glass.

the rest of the internals is very nice and "like new" as he says. (we´ll see about that)

he syas it´ll need a nice cleaning and repainted nedles to look like new.

the speedo house and other parts is cad replated and painted white inside as they where.

Janne

Guest Grant Magrath

So the scale on the speedo HAS to be in kilometres by law?

We use kilometres in New Zealand and Australia, but it's not compulsory to have a kilometre speedo scale.

The car is all road legal now. We took it on a classic car parade today. My father was grinning from ear to ear listening to what people were saying about the car. Made the two years of hard work really worth it! Still a few small jobs to finish the car completely. But it's nice to be able to take it out for a spin!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

I remember when we changed from mph to kmh, the govt issued stickers that went on your speedo to show the correct speeds in km. I wonder if your transportation department would accept something similar?

Cheers

Grant

My '66 Wildcat has such stickers on it's speedo glass...I wasn't paying attention to those things at the time, so don't know if they may have come from the government or not. Lost a point on the car in judging, but it is a piece of the car's history, since it has always lived in Canada.