1947 radiator removal

Guest B1rdman

Guest B1rdman

:confused:

is there a easy way to get the radiator out of a 1947-48 continental????????

i pulled a 48 today, and it was a job, and i probably put a hole in rad in the process. i am going to use the one in my 47 and i sure dont want to

damage it.

thanks

gene

Guest B1rdman

color me a dumb &&& as if i had read the book i would have known the fan has 3 bolts

from the rear. i was looking at the front of the fan bet i take that fan off next time.

gene

• 13 years later...

gene, i need to remove my radiator and located the 3 fan bolts.  cannot loosen with wrench but can get 1/4-drive 1/2" socket on them but ratchet interferes with dampener shaft, any suggestions?  how did you get yours out?  does fan just come off after removal of 3 bolts?  did you remove dampener as well?

Trying to get access to crank, engine in storage for LONG time, pulling intake, heads to look at valves & pistons.  would like to be able to turn.

will have to remove all this to get engine out if needed. looks like real PITA.

Any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated.

1 of 3 fan screw on back of dampener.jpg

dampener.jpg

fan and radiator.jpg

radiator.jpg

First!!! There is no easy way to get the radiator out! In the past I have removed rads. from a '42 LC, '38 LZ and a '48LC.   To give yourself some more "wrench room" remove dist/coil,  fold dist.caps w conduits back on top of engine and tie with a pc. of cord--out of the way. Soak the 3 cap screws that hold the fan on the fan hub with PB- Blaster . Soak a small rag with same and soak the threads in the back. Use a 3/8 " drive and , I think; 1/2 " socket.  I had purchased one just for this job, because I had to grind down the outside just a little to fit on head of the bolt.  From the looks of the engine  it seems to have sat a long time.  Being very careful,  take a propane torch( not  oxy/ acetylene !) and heat the heads of the 3 bolts. Tap with a small hammer--this may help. Make sure all of the PB- blaster is wiped dry. These bolts are fine thread and look to be special. If this goes well , break loose the lower rad. bolts , but do not remove yet.  I cannot see in front of the rad.  but remove the flat stamped sheet metal air deflector,  located between rad and hood lock down plate. You'll need this room to rock back rad to lift out. Naturally , cut away the old rad.

hoses--- they're   "toast" . Have fun ! let us know how it goes--- Larry

• 3 weeks later...