Buick 1936-37-38 floor shift trans

haveparts

I've run into an interesting dilemma when trying to find a clutch disc that works with the 6 bolt top shifter trans for the 320 str 8 eng. Century,Roadmstr. The clutch disc is 10 7/8" diameter and has a 1 1/4" spline that slides on the front shaft of the transmission. It will slide onto the shaft of the 1936 trans, but not the 1938 Trans, which is the one I need to use. In trying to slide the disc onto the 38 tranny it actually displaces metal, starting to shear it from the insides of the clutch splines as I tried to push it on the shaft. Does someone know of a machining difference in these transmissions that isn't in the books? I repeated this test on a friends two transmissions of the same vintages with the same results. Any light someone can shed on this would be appreciated. Thanx

Absolutely.

I also observed this, as I tore down my two transmissions, which I thought were both '38's. Turns out the one in my car ('38 Special) was a '37, with a slightly modified case to accept the '38 nose piece that goes into the flywheel housing. It still uses it's '37 input shaft and whoever did this also knew enough to use a '37 clutch disc.

In the process of making one good gear box out of two, I learned all about the differences between '37 and '38. ('36 same as '37??) Not interchangeable are the case itself, the nose piece, the input shaft (also called clutch shaft). Subtle differences to the shifter mechanism, and synchronizers, but I think they would swap. (maybe)

I am pretty sure the '38 shop manual details these changes.

Jeff

Since we're all mixing and matching, does anyone know if I can use the '40 flywheel with my '36 transmission?

Here's what I have:

'40 engine with flywheel

'36 transmission

'37 clutch bellhousing, clutch pressure plate and clutch

I want to use the '40 engine. I know I need to change the front mounting plate to the '37 plate, I have that. I know the '40 flywheel bellhousing is different, I also know I need to pull the oil pan and rear main bearing to access the flywheel bolts in order to remover the flywheel so I can remove the bellhousing.

I just bought a MOTORS manual and it has a side by side diagram of the '35-'38 and a '39-46 engine and there are a few differences I am concerned about. The main one is the oil pans. Does anyone know if I can keep the '40 or do I have to change to the '37(which I also have). If I have to change to the '37 do I have to change to the '37 oil pump (which I have)

35-38engine001.jpg

39-46engine001.jpg

This is not going to be a show car so I don't care about authenticity, I just want it running.

... If I have to change to the '37 do I have to change to the '37 oil pump (which I have)
Keep the 1940 oil pump. In the 1940 Buick service presentation states "the oil pump capacity in 40 -50 engines to be equal to 60 series. .. This pump will increase the presure at the low end comparable to the 60 series engine of 1939"

Thanks for the input, I'll leave the '40 pump. What about the pan? Do you know if there'll be clearance problems? I'll find out as soon as I try to install it. I would just like to know because I'm going to have to pull the pan to change the parts over and I don't want to have to pull it again and have to buy a new gasket.