Any Ideas what 1930 Buick series this is?

Guest BJM

This is either a 1930 Model 58 or 68 5-window coupe. Hard to tell which from the pictures. The 58 had a shorter wheelbase and came stock with wood artillery wheels. The fact that this car has sidemounts and wire wheels makes me tend to think it may be a 68. Not many of these cars left. There are only about 7 or so registered in the BCA, one of which is mine.

Thanks,

Thanks Mike. I grabbed my Standard Catalog when I spotted this Craigs List ad. I brought up a post about 2 months ago with a similar body style discussion and the "5" window I associated with a "senior" longer wheelbase model - thanks again to the pre war knowledge on this forum.

So this car did intrigue me. I then read where wire wheels were an option, which in Depression era 1930 would exclude 95% of series 40's.

Then I looked further in the Standard Catalog and felt certain that no "5" window 2 door model was in the 40 series line up. This moves a person up to the 331 cid 6 cylinder.

I certainly do not want to imply that a 40 series owner has an uninteresting car but I am always attracted to the longer wheelbase cars as they seem so rare in project form, especially one that is not laying in pieces.

For 1930 the 60 Series is on the 132" wheelbase and is the equivalent of the 90 series in 1931. The primary difference between the 2 is the fact that the '31 has the first 8 cylinder engine along with a synchromesh transmission. Looking at the '30 Model 68 and the '31 Model 96 5-window coupes side by side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Here is an example of a '31:

Buick : 1931 Buick 96 : eBay Motors (item 300396939270 end time Feb-20-10 11:20:57 PST)

I would snag that car in the ad for a parts car were it not for the fact that it is on the opposite side of the country.

Thanks,

Mike,

Cheyenne Wyoming is an interesting town. I lived there for 3 years from 77-80. I was 13-15 years old and was just starting to become interested in the old car hobby.

I would ride my bike all over town and there were still a few 40's cars on the streets then. But you would see a lot of these sorts of cars (this 30 Buick) in backyards, fields, garages.

Cheyenne was pretty dry. I don't think they salted roads and did not get a lot of rain or snow and low humidity.

A picture tells a story though. I wonder what I will find calling this guy and asking the usual questions. Probably owned by some crusty old fellow that chases kids off his property with a wave of a shotgun.

For 1930 the 60 Series is on the 132" wheelbase and is the equivalent of the 90 series in 1931. The primary difference between the 2 is the fact that the '31 has the first 8 cylinder engine along with a synchromesh transmission. Looking at the '30 Model 68 and the '31 Model 96 5-window coupes side by side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Here is an example of a '31:

Buick : 1931 Buick 96 : eBay Motors (item 300396939270 end time Feb-20-10 11:20:57 PST)

I would snag that car in the ad for a parts car were it not for the fact that it is on the opposite side of the country.

Thanks,

That 31 is beautiful. An alternative to the 2 door sedan, I guess people wanted an enclosed trunk.

I wonder where the additional 'inches' are in the wheelbase between 50 and 60's? Is it that back seating 2nd window set area? Both should have the same front clips.

A few more tid bits of info... I have been told the smaller 1931 50 series Buicks did not have an enclosed driveline and synchromesh transmissions intil sometime mid year. The early 1931 small series cars shared the same chassis and open driveline with the Marquette, but had the new Buick Str8 engine. My 1931 Model 57 is the later version. The back seat is roomy, but the front seat is tight for anyone over 6'.

Mike,

A picture tells a story though. I wonder what I will find calling this guy and asking the usual questions. Probably owned by some crusty old fellow that chases kids off his property with a wave of a shotgun.

Jake,

Did you notice the writing on the side of the front tire, "No Traspassing". His spelling not mine, and I think the scenario you described may be correct...

;)

Mike,

I know I am kind of scared to call him but here goes....

Remember that 1938 series 80 sedan I started a thread on about 6 weeks ago? The guy counter offered me $1750 for it. It's in Portland Oregon and now this car pops up.

When it rains it pours.

All,

Called and had a great talk with Bill Hinkel BCA # 4990. He first showed 30's Buicks in 1976 and joined the BCA in 1974. What a nice guy (bonus)

Bill said he has had an outpouring of interest in the car and I am 3rd in line. He said he has a "check is in the mail" guy from Montana, a 2nd person in North Dakota and then my interest.

It is a model 50 series car. He said it is complete and needs wood but the metal is good.

• 2 weeks later...