46 lincoln vin#'s

Guest 46lincoln

Guest 46lincoln

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum, but have a question for the experts.

My grandfather is about to purchase a 46 lincoln with VIN# H145318. I have spent hours researching this VIN# and have not been able to find out if this is supposed to be a convertiable or a coupe. The car is currently a convertiable, but I think that it was orginally a coupe that someone cut the top off of since there were onle about 200 convertiables made from that year.

Does anyone know where I can get a list of VIN#'s for the different model's for 1946 or does anybody know what this car was originally?? Thanks for all of your help.

A picture would be helpful, also if it's a Continental or a Lincoln. I've never heard that many of the coupes were chopped into convertibles. The coupes are almost as rare, with only 265 built.

You need to find the body number.

Continental Coupe: 66H57

Continental Convertible: 66H56

Lincoln coupe: 66H77

Lincoln convertible: 66H76

Lincoln sedan: 66H73

Supposedly the serial number would have these numbers

Guest 46lincoln

Thanks for the reply. I do not have any pics at this time. I remember the crome on the dashboard saying "lincoln contentinal."

Just the FYI this car was found in a junkyard about to go into the crusher. It does not have the original engine and is not in the best shape, but before he makes it into a hotrod, I figured that I would try and find out if it is worth restoring back to orginial condition.

Where would I find the body#/serial#??

I'll find out for sure, but I think it may be on the door-hing post. There are other places stamped on the body, too, such as around the drip rail of the trunk opening. It may not be the whole serial number, but I think it gives the part you're looking for.

I'm trying to get a hold of my stepfather, who has a '42.

Guest 46lincoln

I called my grandfather and he will look for the body numbers in the area that you have given me. He said that it has the original transmission with a different bellhousing to fit the engine that is in it now. I will get back to you when he finds anything else out. We are in NJ and after these past few snow storms there is about 28 inches of snow on the car.

Thanks for the prompt response.

He says there's a number plate on the firewall on the passenger side. But, I would have him open the trunk lid, and look around the gutter area to see if there are four or five numbers/letters stamped there somewhere. If I remember correctly, it was on the back side, nearest the rear window, about center. If the car has a lot of paint on it, it might be real hard to find.

I think I know the guy who just saved this car.He told me about it.It's my understanding that the construction of these Continental coupes lends itself well to conversions and it was a fairly common job to do over the years.I know of another car in which it is being done now. A lot of these classic cars were apparently built basically the same and at some point they finished them as either or. I remember reading about some car in Antique Automobile where they added a roof onto a convertible to make a coupe when they couldn't afford to make it from scratch.