trying to ID 1925?? buick ...

Guest mdspwt01

Guest mdspwt01

Hello all...i am trying to id the year etc of the buick sitting in my fathers driveway...he left us a couple of years back and this car has been here for quite a while...anyway i cannot find a data plate but there is an engine number whose picture i will attach with some other photos...1222715 is the number on the engine...pretty complete original unrunning car....anyway any help would be appreciated...emailable at mdspwt@hotmail.com thanks, keith

post-66494-14313817443_thumb.jpg

post-66494-143138174435_thumb.jpg

post-66494-143138174439_thumb.jpg

Keith, looked through my book, "70 years of Buick", the car seems to be a model 25-51.

Here is what is said: "New for the year was the Master Six Brougham Touring Sedan, built on the 128 inch wheelbase chassis. The car used essentially the same rear quarter design as did the 4-passenger standard equipment. The bumpers and trunk were still accessories. Designated the Model 25-51, this car had a production run of 6,850 for domestic sales and two special order models for export. Finished in sagebrush green with black fenders, top and trunk, the 3,905-pound car sold for $2,350. The body was built by Fisher. All rear windows were equipped with silk roller shades".

With such a low production run this is a rare car in original condition. I am sure others will chime in with more information.

You might post some additional pics of the car so we can better gauge its condition.

My Red Book (Nat'l Used Car Market Report lists the Brougham Sedan Model 24-6-51 in 1924 ($2,235)

with Serial #'s beginning at 1098017 and up. The '25's start at 1251305,

so it would appear your car is a '24 model year.

Reminds me of Dorothea Lange's famous Funeral Cortege

Depression-era photo from 1938.

551952.jpg

Looks like a great car...send more pictures, we'd all love to see 'em!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest mdspwt01

thanks for all the info so far....just so you know i will take more iphone pictures tomorrow and post them....as an aside, i, and the car, are sitting here in Manila.....southeast asia that is....

again thanks for all the input,

Keith

All, looked back in the 70 Years book and 1924 had a 51 with the oval window, and it was called the model 24-51-A. Buick built only 24 51s for export, but turned out 4,991 of the model 51 and 2,295 of the 51-A. The only real difference between the two models was the oval window for the A, and a more modern D shaped one for the 51. The book only has a picture of the 51, but describes the oval window in the major write-up for 1924.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Keith:

According to Buick factory records, engine 1,222,715 is for a 1924 40 or 50 series car. Body style and wheelbase will determine exactly which model and series it is. Pictures would indicate a 1924 series 51A.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Edited by DaveCorbin (see edit history)

Guest mdspwt01

of course i would not want the car to wilt away.....i have always loved old cars such as this one (there is also an old 33 or so chevy sitting here that does run but is just kind of an averadge looking old car compared to the buick) and always bought hemmings as a kid and now this falls in my lap so of course i would love to have it restored...my plate is so full with the estate here that doing the work myself would be impossible at this point...but i am in the philippines where labor is cheap...that is the good news...the bad news is that the right people to do the job are few and far between. There is no title although there are deeds of sale for the vehicle going quite a ways back...getting it back to the states could be a chore although a car dealer here says "not as hard as you think..." so i dunno.....any suggestions? haha....