1950 New Yorker map light?

Any member have access to a 1950 New Yorker? I'm wondering if your vehicle has a map light and switch, located under the dash slightly to the left of the clock.

I'm asking because the wiring diagram notes "map light" in several places, but my vehicle has only a small hole (switch hole?) next to a large hole (lamp housing?) in the location noted above.

(Also, the parking brake warning light is apparently supposed to double as an additional map light when activated by the panel light switch; but my brake light just flashes. Maybe the panel light switch is defective, or maybe a wire is loose/missing. I'll have to crawl under the dash to investigate).

Any insights appreciated! Regards, Bill.

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm currently working on a 49 Chrysler woodie wagon which might have the same dash appointments. The dash has a LH and RH maplight. The RH unit being located approx. under the clock. Both units operate when you open either front door or by rotating the maplight-dash light knob just below the headlight knob.

The parking brake light is triggered by a switch at the parking brake lever and triggers a bulb on the dash. If your em. brake does not fully retract, you might have problems with the brake light staying on.

Just finished completely rewiring under the dash so gained a good deal of insight on 49-50 electrical systems ( I think).

Martin Lum

Marty: Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if only open cars used the underdash lighting, while closed models such as mine used a dome light, controlled by door switches and a manual switch on the driver's door post.

If closed and open models shared the same dash, perhaps that explains the open hole beneath the clock.

Maybe someone with a '50 can verify this......... Bill.

Bill, we have a 50 New Yorker Newport, today I checked the lights. When either door is opened the light below the ashtray and a light for the ignition switch comes on. If the Panel light switch is turned to the left these same lights come on. The only time the light above the emergency brake lights is to signal that the brake is on.

Our 51 Plymouth has a light above the ignition switch that illuminates if the parking lights are turned on, the 50 New Yorker doesn't work this way.

Our 52 Imperial has a separate swich for the light under the ashtray but this light cannot be turned on by the Panel light switch.

Our 50 Dodge has a light and a switch under the dash center but due to storage conditions I cannot tell you if it is controlled by door jamb switches .

Having messed around with old chrysler products since the real early 70's I have been many times confused over the interior lights and their switches.

Jay

Jay: Does your Newport have a dome light? If not, I'm again inclined to believe cars with a dome light offered no under-dash lighting.

My ignition key lamp operates only with the panel-lights switch turned to the right, but doesn't come on with the door switches!

Wiring diagram is also potentially misleading because one diagram apparently includes the wiring for ALL 8-cylinder (C-49) models and series. Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bill,

The Newport has two interior lights mounted on the sides of the rear roof "C" piller just above the rear seat backrest, none in the center of the roof, and they only turn on with the switch mounted on the driver's side rear seat side panel, it is mounted low due to there being no center pillar on the hardtop.

Jay