Fuel Pressure Regulator Recommendations?

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

Some time ago I bypassed the old Stewart vacuum tank on my '22 Paterson (it would crap out at the most inopportune times) in favor of a generic electric fuel pump -- that I think I got from NAPA. Very quiet and works fine but the 8psi it puts out is a little too much for the carb float assembly to handle.

So...can someone recommend a decent and not too expensive fuel regulator that I can install between my fuel pump and carb? It only needs to drop the pressure from 8psi to 1 or 2psi. I'm seeing many listings on the NAPA auto parts website but nothing specific that jumps out. Surely there must be other guys on here who've done the same?

Thanks --

Chris

Chris, I have two suggestions for you. Purolator used to make an adjustable regulator that could be adjusted from 0 to 5lbs. Donald Mckinsy (look under spark plugs) used to sell them but I don't know if he has any more of them. If that doesn't work, than go to NAPA and ask for a nfp p60504 fuel pump. This is a 12 volt pump that is rated from two to four lbs. It also works at six volts which gives it half the pressure. One to two lbs may be low enough for your carburator.

Guest Paterson Chris

Chris and Nickelroadster, thanks for the replies.

So far I'm going to lean with either purchasing the 12 volt fuel pump or, I see Holley makes a simple regulator (that I haven't seen any bad reviews for) part number 12-804 that has an adjustable output of 1-4psi. About $30. I previously tried using a "Spectre" brand regulator that had the same specs but it was junk. Never worked from day one -- even after opening it up, checking parts and re-assembling. I thought mine might have been a fluke dud unit but I see here on the 'net that complaints about them are pretty common. Which has sort of turned me off to the idea of using a regulator in favor of the low pressure pump but as Holley has a good name, maybe I'll go with them. I might be able to hide some/ all of the works inside the shell of the old vacuum pump too -- but only if I can creatively do it with no modification of the original housing.

Thanks --

Chris

I have a Carter electric pump P60430, similar to the 60404,except the one on mine will put out 4-6psi. I checked the pressure out without a regulator. It was 7psi, too much for Carter Wa1, so I added a Spectre regulator, set it to 4 and that is what my pressure gauge read as well. I also added a flow check valve in the line as well. Try Summit auto parts, their prices are pretty low.

• 4 weeks later...

We had added an electric fuel pump to our '29 Packard to get fuel to the vacuum tank (we would not run on it, just prime the Stewart system). When the Vacuum tank started acting up. we initially bypassed it and added a Holley adjustable regulator.

Later I took an "extra" Stewart vacuum tank, removed the innards, added some fuel line, and installed the regulator in the tank. Needed to block the vacuum port to the tank.

I think the next step will be to move the regulator back by the fuel pump, near the gas tank. That way it will at least be accessible.

Of course, I probably will get around to rebuilding the Stewart someday.......