Today's "wind 'em-up"

Guest DeSoto Frank

Guest DeSoto Frank

And, in case anyone might be thinking that the "Okies" existed only in Steinbeck's imagination, here's the real thing, courtesy of photographer Dorothea Lange & Google Images...

post-31530-143138158904_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158905_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158906_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158906_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158907_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158908_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158908_thumb.jpg

post-31530-143138158909_thumb.jpg

post-31530-14313815891_thumb.jpg

And, in case anyone might be thinking that the "Okies" existed only in Steinbeck's imagination, here's the real thing, courtesy of photographer Dorothea Lange & Google Images...

I don't think anyone said "Oakies" didn't exist or they didn't use cars like this. However, this car is not a historical artifact in that respect. It is a movie prop built for the movie. The car didn't really transport anyone the way the Kennedy Lincoln or Rosa Parks bus did. Which makes it even more ridiculous to try and capitalize on the car's movie history when it looks nothing like what is shown in the movie.

It also looks like more work to put it into its current racer configuration than return it to its truck body. My guess is they didn't think the truck body would be desireable enough to genereate huge bucks at auction. So they put this racer body on which they thought would generate more interest and still want to capitalize on its movie history for double hype. In my opinion, if I had too much money, I would not buy it because it is not the same as the car used in the movie and worthless to movie prop collectors. And if I wanted a racer, I could probably get a much cheaper one that was not overpriced because of a movie connection.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest DeSoto Frank
Yes but would the ruby slippers have sold for that if they had dyed them green or blue in 1999?

Or "sypathetically restored" into a pair of red pumps ?

;)

Guest DeSoto Frank

So I heard... missed the auction; I was out riding around in my "sympathetically unrestored" '28 Ford Coupe... :D

Actually, I was going to pick-up a friend ( a Hudson enthusiast), to give him his first ride in a Model A, and when I got to his house, he told me I had just missed it, and gave me details...

I wonder how much they had invested in it ?

I'm sure we'll be seeing it from time to time... hard to miss that aero-plane tail !

I'm still of the opinion that this was the wrong direction to take with this particular car, but what's done is done... hopefully the uneeded body parts have gone to help restore other Hudsons.