1928 Buick in Seattle For Sale $2000

Guest BJM

Jake, not in WA, but VA so am no help to go see it. But it does looks like my 28-29 Town Brougham, but is probably the next lower model, like a 28-27. Here are a couple of pics, one of an original Buick photo and another of mine. Mine has not been restored, only refurbished. Only the black fenders have been painted, everything else is original. If you ever need to see a bunch of pictures you can see them at Picasa Web Albums - John and Alice

post-48480-143138154347_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138154603_thumb.jpg

Thanks John, that helps. Can I imply that the 3rd side window means a longer wheelbase Buick?

I was looking at other 28 Buicks on the net and most did not have that 3rd window like your car.

I did look through the 28 photos you had. That would be helpful to anyone interested in that Seattle 1928 Buick.

I believe based on my limited research that the project Buick is a Master Six because of it's chromed headlight shells. Your Standard Six shells are painted. Nots ure, i am waiting for the experts to review the photos.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest kaycee

:) Hi Jake,

In my 'Seventy Years of Buick' book it indicates a 120 or 128 inch wheelbase on the 4dr sedan Master series and looks like a 120 wheelbase on the Standard models ( on 4dr. sedans). In the picture on this ad ,it looks like it may have landau bars and the rear windows have more curvature at the rear of them, so it's more than likely a Standard model 29. All the 4drs in my book show three windows but the Standard model 27 rear windows are almost square at the rear wheras the model 29 are curved to accomodate the landau bars.

Your best bet would be to have some BCA or AACA menber in the Wash. area to look at it and measure the wheelbase and engine size or first contact the seller to confirm whether it's a Master or Standard model and have him e-mail you additional pictures.

:) kaycee

You can also recognise STD vs. Master from outside in the front area of chassis. If there is a tubular cross member between front frame noses, then it is Master Six (120" or 128" wheelbase).

Engine bay - Master (273 cid) has water outlet by 3 or 4 legged pipe ON the head (the whole lenght, left side) where STD (?204 cid?) has one short pipe from front face of the head (centre) to radiator. Unfortunately none of above features is visible from your pictures.

Also there should be a type plate on the right hand side of firewall, Master models are indicated by 28-4x and 28-5x, where STD models are 28-2x type designation.

As far I know some STD models also DID HAVE nickel plated headlamp shells, on the other hand STD usually DID NOT have a radiator cap godddess.

Hope this help you a bit.

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

Jake,

Seattle is over 200 miles away, but I could go take a look if you are really interested. Just send me an email.

Oh my no. Only on a restored car but a $2000 project car is well represented by photos and conversation - unless a member is within 25 miles or so.

Thanks for the offer though. These are never in "Ames" or "Des Moines" Iowa :(

Jake, if it is a master series, which looks very close to a standard 29 in style, then it certainly could be a 28 47S Town Brougham. This looks very close to the pic in a book that I have. According to the 70 Years of Buick book it was produced only this one year. Buick built 16,398 for domestic sales and 7 special order for export. Cost was $1,575. It was called a Master Six 4-door DeLuxe Sedan.

The 47S had nickel plated headlights.

That car could be gem restored. Let us know more about it if you can get someone to take a look at it.

We are heading to Seattle for a visit the end of January, if you still are interested and need someone to take a look at it I can certainly make the time to go see it.

John (unimogjohn@aol.com)

John

The consensus on the forum is that it is a Standard and I am by no means an expert, thankfully you all are!

I sent an email to the seller yesterday and will call him tonight. I am looking at a 38 Buick as well in that $2,000 range. I am not tied into this car so if someone else wants it that's Ok with me.

It sure sounds like he is eager to move his Buick.

Guest bkrystad

Hey, I'm in Seattle and I'm working on a 1923 Buick, so I'm no expert on the later models. I'd be glad to go take a look at this and take some more pictures or get you more information if you need it. I might also be interested in this car as a supply of compatible parts for my own project car, which has some shortcomings (no rear brake drums, broken clutch, broken steering wheel).

I'll go look at it anyway in case it's a good match for my project, but please I'll gladly share any information I can with you if it's seriously a full project you'd like to undertake as is. I'd much rather see the whole car restored than part it out, but I'd rather part it than pass it up.

Send me a private message if I can help!

-Byron

Byron,

Sounds good. I'm an equal opportunity Buick guy. If you could get the "skinny" on this car that would help all of us. I keep meaning to call the seller but have not done so.

Last night our college team played in the Orange Bowl (IOWA HAWKEYES) so that preoccupied me.