19" wheel outer ring tool?

Janousek

I removed a tire from my 31' 90 series with 19" wheels. I'm refinishing all the wheels and installing new tires. Is there a tool for the outer ring that won't hurt the painted surface of the rim? I removed the ring fairly easy but I wasn't concerned with the paint but after I get them done I don't want to scrape the paint if I have to install it like rolling a piston ring on a piston. I was wondering if a tool was used like a piston ring spreader? Thanks, Brad

In case you are not aware of it, sometimes the ring comes off when the tire is inflated.

When inflating the tire after installing the ring, you need to do it in a steel cage so if the ring flys off, it will not kill you. Most tire stores that deal in truck tires have such a cage.

I had the same problem with my wire wheels. I had them installed by a tire dealer who learned the busines back when these cars were on the road. He told me that he tried every trick he knew to get the ring on without chipping the paint and he was not completely successful. My wheels were powder coated so touching up was not an option.