42 chrysler engine color

grain-man

i have contacted you on the color of my c-34 chrysler spitfire engine was told by everyone that it was silver with black accessories i had found red paint on the head i have an 84 year old friend that his father had a 41 spitfire engine and he said it was red head and block with black accessories he remembers it because it was his job to keep the egnine clean can anyone verify this thanks grainman

I know that the 1929 Chrysler had a Red Head engine where it actually did have a red head and it actually says it on the cylinder head. By 1941, I believe it was the Spitfire engine and was silver with black accessories. My book shows a dark colored block with a silver head, but it was a display chassis so that could have been a little different.

post-37352-143138150334_thumb.jpg

There was also a Silver head, painted silver, and should be enscribed as such. I believe the Spitfire engine was silver, but the Spitefire script and lightening were red. Maybe that is where you saw the red?

Yes...Dave is correct...they had those, too. They also had the 1929 era "Silver Dome" which I believe was all silver with black accessories.

Guest sherwoodk

The 1934 Chrysler engine blocks, both 6s and 8s were red as was the head. Anyone have any NOS dash plastic? Thanks, Sherwood Kahlenberg

P.S. In the late 20s there was also a black head. It was used for export only.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Careful using advertising artwork to guide a restoration ! Trust only actual photographs, and even then, double-check. The marketing artists created beautiful pieces for brochures, but often took liberties with scale , proportion, and color.

Standard color for MoPar flatheads between 1934 & 1959 was silver for the block and head, and black for the "accessories" ( starter, generator, distributor, metal spark-plug wire loom).

I have seen red highlighting on raised lettering on head, such as "Spitfire".

I have a 241 cid Chrysler six from a '41 Windsor that is red-orange, but this was applied by the machine-shop that rebuilt the engine.

The engine in my '41 De Soto and '48 New Yorker (both all-original) are/ were silver.

Regards,

De Soto Frank