Vacuum Wipers

Guest bagpipesupply

Guest bagpipesupply

My 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe has vacuum wipers. Even when vacuum wipers are working their best, they leave a lot to be desired. Can this wiper motor be replaced with a 6 volt electric motor? If so, what is the name and source(s) to get one?

It would be easier to fix the vacuum wipers. Try squirting a little oil in the vacuum pipe of the motor and work it back and forth.

Motors are available if yours is worn out.

Stalling out when you step on the gas can be remedied by a vacuum tank, or eliminated by a double decker fuel pump.

If you insist on electric wipers many Chrysler products had them in the early 50s. You may be able to find a Plymouth or Dodge up to 52 that has them, and that will fit your car.

Guest fordv840
My 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe has vacuum wipers. Even when vacuum wipers are working their best, they leave a lot to be desired. Can this wiper motor be replaced with a 6 volt electric motor? If so, what is the name and source(s) to get one?

Hi,

I had a 49 Plymouth Special Deluxe that I drove as a daily driver for the most part for four years. The vacuum wipers worked very well, not as good as a new car with variable wipers and all that but they did the job well. Maybe yours can be fixed? If not if you pick up a copy of Street Rodder or any catalogs that specialize in pre war cars they sell replacement 6v wipers that supposedly bolt right in.

Guest bagpipesupply

From what I have gathered, you cannot just bolt in a replacement electric motor because the other mechanisms will not match. I think that I will have wiperman rebuild mine and I have located a new fuel pump for plymouths with vacuum wipers.

I thank everyone for your responses. They have been helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Plymouthy

the two stage pump is idea for vacuum wipers on vehicle operating in an areawith hills where the load of the engine makes maintaining vacuum difficult. The momentary boost to to overcome this low vacuum can be accomplished with the addition of a vacuum reservoir..this can be hidden within the inner fender out of sight if you are concerned about proper engine compartment looks..or under the dash for that matter..

Guest bagpipesupply

I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina. There are plenty of hills. I purchased a booster fuel pump on Ebay. I also intend to have the motor rebuilt. It works very poorly on level road.

• 2 weeks later...

The "paddle" in the motor can get worn or the grease (white lithium) can dry out causing the motor to operate poorly. Often opening the thing up and regreasing it will eliminate most problems but having it rebuilt would certainly do it.

Changing over to electric is a can of worms unless you have a complete setup from another car...switch,knob,wiring,motor and linkage.