30u fuel filter/screen?

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

All,

I am trying to find the filter on this thing, the manual says it is right where the fuel line attaches to the carb but I have the Carter DRT-08 and the line goes directly into it. I do have the glass bowl before the pump, is the screen in the top of that? I would like to have some good filtration but my car appears to have the original type fuel system so I don't want to just add something. Also I am in the process of rebuilding the DRT-08, I noticed the power valve seal was turned upside down so the "bell" could not thread into it. I assume this was done on purpose, I have read the valve is not that helpful. Should I leave it like this and not worry about it or should I try to get the valve operational again?

Guest fordv840
Man....I wish I had that carburetor. Don't know how much help this will be, but here you go....John

LOL, Yes I have heard it is rather rare. If carburetors where not my "specialty" I don't think I would redo it myself but so far no issues to report. I am looking for another more run of the mill carb as a back up. Thanks for the data.

Does the 30U have a fuel pump or a vacuum tank?

The 30-U was the model that introduced the mechanical fuel pump.

One thing I find bizarre about the Q and U models was the use of the suction side of oil pump for the vacuum source for the vacuum tank fuel pump system.

Guest fordv840
Does the 30U have a fuel pump or a vacuum tank?

I don't claim to be an expert on this at all but I have been told that some early production 30U had the vacuum tank and the switchover occured sometime in mid production. Mine is a later serial number and it has the copper fuel line going into the glass bowl then from there a line going into a block mounted pump then into the carb. I will post some pictures to my profile when I get a chance.

I don't claim to be an expert on this at all but I have been told that some early production 30U had the vacuum tank and the switchover occured sometime in mid production. Mine is a later serial number and it has the copper fuel line going into the glass bowl then from there a line going into a block mounted pump then into the carb. I will post some pictures to my profile when I get a chance.

The photo I have here of the early Model U shows no mechanical fuel pump. They may have changed in mid-year production. Notice in the first production photo the fuel line ends in mid air (looking like a sink trap with no mechanical fuel pump). The mechanical pump would be located just in front of the carburetor on later engines.

post-37352-143138145555_thumb.jpg

Guest fordv840

Well here is a really stupid question since you posted that picture, what is that pipe that points down in the back for? The one right in front of the bell housing? I would think it was a vent of some type but the crankcase vent is on the other side of the block? I was looking at mine and wondering......

Well here is a really stupid question since you posted that picture, what is that pipe that points down in the back for? The one right in front of the bell housing? I would think it was a vent of some type but the crankcase vent is on the other side of the block? I was looking at mine and wondering......

How did THAT happen? Most (if not all) Chrysler products in 1930/31 had the crankcase ventilation tube on the passenger side right where it shows in the photo in the previous post for the 4 cylinder and as on the '31 Dodge 6 cylinder shown here....right in front of the bell housing. The starter and generator are on the driver's side with no room for that pipe. Now I need to see a photo of yours.

post-37352-143138145647_thumb.jpg

Guest fordv840
How did THAT happen? Most (if not all) Chrysler products in 1930/31 had the crankcase ventilation tube on the passenger side right where it shows in the photo in the previous post for the 4 cylinder and as on the '31 Dodge 6 cylinder shown here....right in front of the bell housing. The starter and generator are on the driver's side with no room for that pipe. Now I need to see a photo of yours.

Here are the pictures of my "dual vent option"! :-) I also put one of the car cleaned up a little.

post-63549-143138146058_thumb.jpg

post-63549-14313814606_thumb.jpg

post-63549-143138146061_thumb.jpg

I don't see a vent on the driver's side, just the filler pipe. Mine has both also.

To answer your original question, my car has only the glass bowl on the fuel pump for a filter, and I believe there is a fine screen at the top of it. That should be all you need.

I don't see a vent on the driver's side, just the filler pipe. Mine has both also.

To answer your original question, my car has only the glass bowl on the fuel pump for a filter, and I believe there is a fine screen at the top of it. That should be all you need.

I have to agree. On the driver's side is the filler tube with removable cap. The passenger side is the crankcase vent pipe. And may I say that your car is gorgeous. I miss driving my friend Norma Bishop's 1930 Plymouth U roadster.

post-37352-143138146103_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)