27 coupe info needed

Guest rev616

got a 27-28 coupe.how many were made,whats the wheel base? is there some way to find out when,it is titled as a 26 so i think its early production

The frame number tells it`s a 1927,job 6840 is a Ficher number,body number ?

Here is a picture of a 1925 mod 28 and it looks the same as 1926 and 1927 mod 28. In 1927 ; 7,178 were built for domnestic sales and 94 for export ,the car cost $1.275 weigh 3.190 pounds.they were finished in Washington blue with black fenders and upper section

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138140895_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Chris:

All of what Leif said is correct.

In regard to your specific car, Buick factory records indicate that frame number 1,701,488 was issued to a 1927 model 28. In the group of 7178 plus 94 for export, your car is about the 2365th car, or just about 1/3 of the way thru the run.

Based on this, IF the original engine is in the car, you should find an engine number between about 1,772,000 and 1,790,000. It specifically will not match the frame number, as Buick serial numbered the engines separately.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 4 months later...
Guest rustbucketgeorge

Can anyone help me with a technical question? Will a 1927 engine fit a 1926 bell housing or must I adapt the whole 1927 drive train to my 1926 frame? I have the small six.

the trans will bolt right up.

26 engines do not have the rubber motor mounts at the rear. 1927 does so there is a modification to be made if you swap engines.

You can keep the upper crank case and just change the cylinder block as the block is interchangeable.

26 heads do not have studs on each end of the exhaust maniforld. 1927 does but you can still interchange the manifolds.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kolby02

Dave could you decode one for me, the number on the frame is 1700998, I have been trying to figure out what year it is and haven't had much luck, the model number says 27-28, the job number is 6840 and the body number is 2086 or 2080, thanks for any help you can give.

Kolby

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Kolby:

Buick factory records confirm that 1700998 was issued for a 1927 model 28. It was in the second batch released. There were 1700 cars in batch 1 and 900 in batch 2, so a body number of 2086 looks right.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kolby02

Dave, I have another question for you, do you know if there is a way of looking up the original owner of the vehicle from the vin number? or even the dealership that sold it? I know that it may be just crazy thinking on my part, but I thought it would be kind of cool to find out that about the car too. Another question is, was the vin on the vehicle matched with a specific engine number too or were they just randomly matched? any help would be great, me and my brother are trying to decide if this is going to be a good restoration project or not.

Guest Roger_Roy
Dave, I have another question for you, do you know if there is a way of looking up the original owner of the vehicle from the vin number? or even the dealership that sold it? I know that it may be just crazy thinking on my part, but I thought it would be kind of cool to find out that about the car too. Another question is, was the vin on the vehicle matched with a specific engine number too or were they just randomly matched? any help would be great, me and my brother are trying to decide if this is going to be a good restoration project or not.

the chances of finding the original owner in most parts of the world are really slim, over there you might be able to find something via a title search, Buick wouldnt keep such records (maybe the original dealer but I would be surprised if the amazing Mr Corbin has that info!) This shouldnt make any real difference in a choice to restore or not, its if you love the car or not cause if you dont love it youll soon hate it.....

Roger