Transmission slipping?

Guest AarOn!

Hello once again all my fellow Reatta fans :-). I'm the guy with the 1989 Buick Riviera. I had a quick question since I don't know much about how these transmissions operate. When I am turning left or right at about 20-25 mph, and go to accelerate, the rpm's raise, but the car doesn't actually pull forward or move until it is straight again. It normally does this only when the car is in 3rd gear; I look at the service mode screen and it indicates its in 3rd gear, but when I straighten out and go to accelerate, then it indicates its in 2nd. When the car is going straight, it doesnt seem to have problems shifting through any of the gears, that is unless I stomp the pedal to the floor; it seems to slip a little in 3rd. The transmission fluid is fresh with a new filter with the correct amount of fluid. The tranny was rebuilt about 7 years ago with 100,000 miles. It now has 135k on the clock. Any suggestions? It's a bad feeling when you are turning and you go to accelerate, but the car doesnt respond and drive forward!!!

Check motor mounts,engine could be moving and pulling shift cable. This is just a guess, You said the trany has been worked on.Look for the cable not properly secured.

I've experience similar issues with various GM cars. If I go to accelerate in a turn at aroud 20-30 mph (like on a highway "cloverleaf" entrance/exit), it almost feels as if the car is in Neutral, until I straighten-out. My '88 Olds Cutlass Sup, '93 Park Ave, and I believe my '89 Reatta might have done it occasionally, as well. I don't recall my '99 Grand Prix doing it....although occasionally that does do some "funky shifting".

The Reattae remind me of a Pontiac Tri-Power. Stomp, wait a second, then the fun begins. I suspect when you floor it the transmission takes a moment to realize what is going on. Also suspect if it were faster, people would complain about it constantly shifting.