1956 packard 400

Guest mitch lojek

Guest mitch lojek

was there a different model packard that used the 400 frame? if so, what model was it and did it come with all power features or could you get just the options you wanted.

any help would be appreciated.

mitch

56 Caribbean hardtops also used the 400 frame and body. Caribbeans had some differences in chrome & interior & came standard with just about every option Packard offered. I would suppose things could be deleted if the buyer insisted but believe most buying a Caribbean wanted them fully loaded.

I have been helping an individual who just took delivery of a 400 from California, a very nice car. They are out there, I would look everywhere you can, Hemmings, the local car trader publications, every place on the internet you can find (I don't know of any good 400s listed online right now). Join PAC if you are not already a member and come join the party over at PackardInfo.com - General Site News - New Part Cross Reference Database Added - Packard Articles

Guest mitch lojek

have tryed hemming's and several other websites to find something near Michigan so I can look the car over in person. I got stung with my lincoln connie by buying by pictures.

it was a good lesson for me.

mitch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Packards1

I don't have a 400 for sale, but if you want to come by some time and look at a great original one I would by glad to show it to you and give pointers on what to look for when buying one.

Guest mitch lojek

thanks for the invitation to see the packard. that car looks real good it's hard to believe it's never been restored at some point. maybe you can keep your eye out for me if you see one come up for sale down in Detroit.

mitch

If you are expecting to find one in Michigan, it probably won't happen. I have driven to Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin to look at them. I have also had a friend look at one in Seattle. Most of them seem to be in Ca. or NY, where I have no one that can look at them. They seem to sell for too much on Ebay or have too high of reserves. However, if you want one for around $20,000 -$25,000, there are several on online classifieds that have been around for quite a while.

Guest mitch lojek

I saw one 55 packard 400 being sold in Missouri for the longest time for 12,850. I don't know if it sold or not but it was removed from their website but I often see it advertised on other websites. you really don't see all of the car by downloading pictures. you just have to be there in person.

mitch

1955's were more plentiful, and a little easier and cheaper to find in most cases. There isn't that much of a difference either.

I would never buy a car without looking at or having someone look at it. I had my friend in Seattle look at a 1956 400. The owner repainted it and wanted $7000 for it. My friend said the repaint was done in his garage with a spray gun, no trim or rust removed. He took 40 pictures of it showing all kinds of probs (not just paint). I passed. It showed up on Ebay and sold for $7500. The guy that bought it used the same pics to relist it, said it was a rust free Ca. car (it had been in Ca. since he bought it 2 months earlier), had fresh paint, and deleted all pics showing flaws. It sold for $13,000. It was worth $5000.

My personal favorite is cars for sale with no pictures. Sure let me pay $20,000 for a car with no pics at all.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)