1931 Buick 8-67 pushrod springs(?)

Guest snoopydad

Guest snoopydad

I have a 1931 Buick 8-67 and am trying to locate replacement compression(?) springs. While erassembling th engine, I noticed that one spring had broken.

These springs are a the lower end of the pushrod above the camshaft. Part of the problem is I have no idea what they are actually identified as.

I am looking for the specs on the spring, load (lbs), deflection at load (inches) and rate (lbs/inch). I have already taken the physcial measurements that are possible, ID, OD, total height, etc.

I have not had much luck locating any used or NOS springs and am hoping, that with the additional specs, I can find them from another application.

Any information or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

Any shop that works on performance engines will have a spring rate tester. Have them measure your complete set and then average them out to get your spring rate. With your other specs, you can then get a spring manufacturer to make replacement springs They usually charge a setup fee $25 to $100 and then per spring costs based on quantity purchased.

With the wide use of this spring, you should be able to find someone with spare springs.. I have them for the early 30's 50 series engines.

I would not think that the rate of this spring is very critical. It's purpose is to keep the roller lifter in contact with the cam. ONce you know the spring rate, you may be able to find a stock compression spring that will fit.

Bob

Guest snoopydad

Leif

That may be the right spring, but I can't be sure without seeing where it is actually located.

Do you, or anyone, know where I could find specs?

I have had some mearuements taken of the current spring>

Total height is 1.687 inches. ~ 1 5/8"

Inside diameter is 0.590 (19/32)

Outside diametere is 0.810 (13/16)

7 coils

Full compression, 110 lbs, 0.98 inches

Thanks

Karl