32 coupe 56s value?

Guest buckfarmer

Guest buckfarmer

found a '32 coupe 56s suppossed to be rare car. Can anyone tell me if this is true. Car is supposed to be totally complete and solid. Does anyone know if these cars have wood in them? The person who is selling the car is asking 13,500 is this a fair price?

It is rare, only 1,905 made. Yes, it does have wood in the body--a lot of it. Make sure the doors hang straight and line up well when being closed; same for the rumble seat or trunk lid. At $13,500, the car would need to be in pretty good condition, though not perfect. Nice, desireable car, although it is not made for high-speed highway cruising.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest buckfarmer

Hi Pete, thanks for your thoughts.

Quick question though. Why is this car not a high-speed highway cruiser. Is there somerthing wrong with this model of car?

Bill McLaughlin regularly drives his '29 on the highway (not typically interstates though), so 55-60 is no problem. As the '32 would have the straight 8, I would presume it has the oomph to be able to go a bit faster. Wheels and tires (not to mention brakes) can be a bit of a concern though.

Different folks have different comfort levels of what they think the older cars are capable of.

I guess I need to take Pete for a ride, soon. But, I agree, all day driving is a bit impracticle.

The '32s will travel well down the road, but most are geared quite low and the engine does sound wound-up at 60 mph. And stopping is another thing to consider.

Yes, the complete frame work is wood so if the doors are sagging, that is a major project to repair. Even if they do not sag, the wood may be bad. It all depends on where it has been stored.

If it is running and drivable, that asking price still may be a bit high. If not running and driving, definately the asking prioce is high, in my opinion.

John