1916 Studebaker Express Truck

Guest sully

My name is John Sullivan (Sully) I have a story to tell you about the Studebaker my dad just gave me. In 1953 my dad bought a 1916 Stude Express Car (Truck) he is now in his 70's. The trcuk has never ran and has never had any rubber on the hweels since my dad owned it. It is my wish that I can take him for a ride in it before he dies. Dad tells me there is only (1) of these vehicles in existance. It was found in a gully in Idaho near Grandview. I am told the truck has lived its whole life in Idaho. I am currently living in Soda Springs, Idaho. Looking for someone close that can restore the wheels and maybe get me started on my project. I have looked forward to restoring this my whole life so I could take my dad for a ride. Sorry if I bored you but I am really exited to get the opportunity to bring this one of a kind back to life. If you have any advise or comments, please contact me.

Thanks for listening

Sully

Guest Gary Hearn

I would suggest that you join the Antique Studebaker Club in order to learn more about your vehicle as well as for the parts sources. Here is a link to their website: The Antique Studebaker Club

Studebakers are fun vehicles, I have a dozen as well as 5 horse drawns.

Guest stude8

How about sharing a photo of the truck with us. What size wheels and tires does it have? Replacement tires and tubes are not a problem these days with so many suppliers selling them. I just mounted new Denman 6.00 x 20 tires on my 1928 Commander. With the right tools you should be able to deal with that job.

Stude8

post-31139-143138117738_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313811774_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138117742_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Sully, it would be interesting to know what engine this truck uses. The cars at that time could have the 6-50 (6 cylinders @ 50 HP) engine. I'll attach a copy of the specification page for the 6-50 engine from the passenger car brochure. It is reduced resolution to attach here but if your vehicle uses this engine I could make a CD with all the pages from the brochure to send you if it would help get the vehicle back in order.

Stude8

post-31139-143138117826_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

Interesting notes.

Just for everyone's information.

A 1914 truck was just recently found in the Sacramento area.

The owner called me and wanted to know if I knew anyone that might be interested in buying it. I notified two of my friends (brothers) and they contacted the owner and they are now the proud new owners.

The So Cal Chapter of the Club just had an unveiling of the truck 2 weeks ago in Northridge, Ca.

I just got off the phone with another friend and he will be doing all the wood work on it, he is a cabinet maker.

The truck is missing the windshield, hood, side lamps and head lights. The rest is all there! The previous owner says that he was told that it last ran in 1972 and was put away in a garage since then.

All the work on the truck will be documented from start to finish. Watch for it in it's present condition in an up-coming issue of The Antique Review.

Edited by The Commander (see edit history)

How about sharing a photo of the truck with us. What size wheels and tires does it have? Replacement tires and tubes are not a problem these days with so many suppliers selling them. I just mounted new Denman 6.00 x 20 tires on my 1928 Commander. With the right tools you should be able to deal with that job.

Stude8

I'm not sure what tires it has. I have a large amount of paperwork that dad has been saving. I even have the 1916 "Idaho" license plate. As soon as I can get the truck in some what of an area that I can get photos I will be sending them out. Who might I send the wheels to so they can be refurbished? Thanks for your help.

If my memory serves me the engine is a 4 cylinder. I remember as a kid being totally amazed at how big the "flywheel" was. Maybe its a harmonic balancer I'm not sure. It must be 4" wide and a couple feet in diameter. I appreciate the offer for the CD, but I better make sure which engine I have before you go to all the trouble.

I just talked to my dad today and told him about the 1914 Stude Express truck.. Congratulations!! He told me that he has a 1914 touring car that he would get rid of. Its in LaGrande Oregon. Good luck with your project

Sully

Hi Guys

Interesting notes.

Just for everyone's information.

A 1914 truck was just recently found in the Sacramento area.

The owner called me and wanted to know if I knew anyone that might be interested in buying it. I notified two of my friends (brothers) and they contacted the owner and they are now the proud new owners.

The So Cal Chapter of the Club just had an unveiling of the truck 2 weeks ago in Northridge, Ca.

I just got off the phone with another friend and he will be doing all the wood work on it, he is a cabinet maker.

The truck is missing the windshield, hood, side lamps and head lights. The rest is all there! The previous owner says that he was told that it last ran in 1972 and was put away in a garage since then.

All the work on the truck will be documented from start to finish. Watch for it in it's present condition in an up-coming issue of The Antique Review.

• 7 months later...
Guest PSeipp

Hello Gents - Sully, sounds like you have a great project underway. I am envious. I inadvertently stumbled upon your thread as I shopped for a 1916 Studebaker Panel Truck. My family brewed beer in the Great Lakes states in pre-prohibition years, and I have been pining to find and restore one of these trucks to spec with our beer logo and original markings. You gents seem to have a close track on trucks of this era. Any idea where I might find one?? Cheers, PS

• 9 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2010 at 4:37 PM, PSeipp said:

Hello Gents - Sully, sounds like you have a great project underway. I am envious. I inadvertently stumbled upon your thread as I shopped for a 1916 Studebaker Panel Truck. My family brewed beer in the Great Lakes states in pre-prohibition years, and I have been pining to find and restore one of these trucks to spec with our beer logo and original markings. You gents seem to have a close track on trucks of this era. Any idea where I might find one?? Cheers, PS

If you can't find the real thing, you can always buy the scale model:  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1916-Studebaker-Die-Cast-Bank-Delivery-Truck-Massey-Ferguson-1-25-scale/372822874532?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Df98df9574b05456c83e575f960707fb1%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D382678278865%26itm%3D372822874532%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

Maybe two of them, and paint the other one in your brewery's fleet colors and lettering!!

Craig