Dual Exhaust

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

I just went through the archives (hard to do with the new system) and have some questions on the dual exhaust installation. My car (1948 Connie Coupe) currently has a very rusty exhaust on it that is probably not the original one but a replacement unit. BUT at some time in its past it has had duals as there are holes cut in the frame much like those in the archive photographs.

Since I will probably have to replace the exhaust, I am thinking about getting a set of headers from Red's and installing dual exhaust but am not sure where I can order dual set-up exhaust pipes and mufflers from. Does anyone have an idea? To have one fabricated here would cost over $2,000.

The bigger question is how do you get around the clutch/brake pedal and master cylinder with the pipe.

Thanks Harry

hey Harry,

My car was likewise cut for duals, I would have never done it myself, I am purist, but.....I think its great. I have never put the pedal pan back on..I think it can be done by running pipe

a little lower, but it is gonna block the pan...My system is cobbled but tru duals..I am gonna re run them, with smoother bends..look

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks for the photographs as they clear up some of the installation questions I had. It appears that I do not have the pedal pan either. I am going to have to steam clean the bottom of the car at the first chance I get as it is really dirty. The holes for the exhaust pipe are cut fairly clean, at first glance they look like the ones on the right side of the car but when you get up close you can see they were cut not punched.

I think I will check with Red's and see if they can provide the pipes along with the headers. Thanks again harry

Harry, the headers that Red's have exit at the rear. This area is fairly congested especially on the left side. The exit areas are close to the toe-board and might present some "heating" problems. Utilizing the existing, front exit manifolds for your dual set up might be better? Considering all the built-in "restrictions" of the V12 engine headers may not give you much of a boost over a convential dual set up. I believe a member has installed a set of Red's Headers on his Continental and maybe he can share his experience?

Guest Harry Connors

Peecher I sure hope whomever has the Red's heaters post some information. For some reason I thought they exited at the front like the factory cast exhaust. The reason why I was thinking of installing them was to try and get some of the heat out of the engine. Headers exchange heat a lot better than most cast manifolds. I intend to do some cleaning up of the exhaust channels in the block as I get into the engine this winter.

Phil thanks for the photographs of your exhaust system.

Harry

Harry:

I have Red's headers installed. They look great. The exhaust exit is before the rear port, so there is room for firewall and accessories. I haven't got the pipes put in yet, but got an estimate for $650 using Flowmaster mufflers (which still seemed high). You do need to cut or enlarge a hole in the driver's side cross member. I'm also thinking of installing a sheet metal shield between the pipe and the brake master cylinder. Red's are really nice to talk with, and have lots of ideas.

Abe

post-43470-143138118285_thumb.jpg

post-43470-143138118287_thumb.jpg

post-43470-143138118287_thumb.jpg

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks, the photographs are just what I was looking for. My frame already has the holes in the frame on the left side as it must have had duals mounted at some time in its past.

I will be getting in touch with Red's. Harry

• 1 month later...
Guest Harry Connors

Abe I notice on your photographs that your headers have a flange on the header - the photographs on Red's Web page does not show a flange on the headers. Did you add them or are they on there already. Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks Phil A similar photograph is on Red's web page. Note that in your photo and on the one that is on Red's page there is no flange for the exhaust pipe to bolt to. The one that Abe posted has the flange. I will ask Red if the flange is available. That nice finish on the photos you posted costs $190 more! Harry