1969 Oldsmobile Cowl Decoder

Guest Cartitles

Guest Cartitles

<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- In 1st Post Ad --><TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top width="100%" itxtvisited="1">Does anyone know of a website for a 1969 Oldsmobile Cowl Decoder?

Does this Car Look like a 1969 olds? Picture Attached

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

post-45612-143138112811_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure car in the picture is either a '66 or '67 Buick Skylark (intermediate or "A"-body). It is definitely not an Olds - Oldsmobile never used the three "hash marks" trim as pictured on the front fender.

If you post cowl tag info here, someone should be able to decode it. The cowl tag usually contains information like body number, assembly plant and date code, paint and top color codes, interior color, trim, and seating (i.e. buckets or bench) codes, and maybe the codes for a few significant accessories or trim.

An Olds VIN from that vintage ('66/'67) will begin with a "3", a Buick, I believe, with a "4". The VIN tag during those years should be on the body in the driver's door opening, toward the front of the car. VINs were moved to the top of the dash, visible through the windshield, at the lower left (driver's side) corner in either 1968 or 1969, if I recall correctly.

<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" itxtvisited="1" size="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- In 1st Post Ad --><table itxtvisited="1" width="100%" border="0"><tbody itxtvisited="1"><tr itxtvisited="1"><td itxtvisited="1" valign="top" width="100%">Does anyone know of a website for a 1969 Oldsmobile Cowl Decoder?

Does this Car Look like a 1969 olds? Picture Attached

</td></tr></tbody></table>

First, the VIN will show that the car is not a 69 Olds (I agree with Doug, it's a 66-67 Buick). To answer your first question, 1969 Olds decoder info is here:

69Olds.com

• 10 months later...
Guest pguidera

To 69 Olds Cowl decoder.

I agree with the other gentleman. The picture in of a 66/67 Buick. I have a 69 Olds Vista Cruiser and am the original owner. The first number 3 is the division(olds) the next 4 is the model # 4865 (in my case 3 seat vista cruiser) the next letter is the plant M for Michigan the last 6 numbers is the build sequance,Example123456. I hope this is helpful to you.

Peter