1925 Dodge top bows dimensions

Kurtl

What are the dimensions are the wooden top bows on a ‘25 DB touring? Thickness, length, distance across etc. Also, does anyone have photos of one, so i can see the actual shape? I have found some original survivors and I wonder if one of these top sets might be correct for our '25 Touring. The owner of these bows can't remember what makes they are. Perhaps one set will be close enough to modify? Thank you.

I have a 24 touring. The top is not dismantled so it's a little tricky to measure the bows under the fabric. Plus it's folded up with a bunch of junk around it. However, I was able to measure the very front bow and it appears to be around 6 ft long. Hope this helps.

G.G.

• 2 weeks later...

The dimensions of your hood (top) bows can be worked out reasonably easily. First, lay the irons into the rests. This will allow you to measure the width - which should be the same for all four bows.

Secondly, fold the irons forward - keeping them the determined distance apart with some dummy bows made from scrap. Work out how far the front bow needs to protrude from the iron sockets to allow attachment of the windshield clamps in the right spots.

In the case of my 1925 Australian bodied roadster the protrusions of all three bows was the same. This should also work for a tourer, given that the first bow lies horizontally, the second at about 30 degrees forward, the third about 45 degrees forward and the last about 30 degrees to the rear.

What you want is for the second bow to continue a smooth line of top from the front, the third to be the highest point and the last to be slightly lower. Study of some restored cars or photos and a bit of careful eyball work with scrap timber and some old sheets will allow you to get the dimensions.

Remember also that the last bow needs to be about twice the thickness of the other three.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Guest alex_houston

I will go out tommorow and measure my '24 which is the exact same as a '25. There was a whole car dimension change from '23 to'24 so nothing earlier is the same. '24 through '27 should all be the same. e-mail at apinyoz@comcast.net