new chapter

i'm looking into the possibility of starting a new chapter in the piedmont region of nc.in reading about the aaca, i haven't really been able to discern the difference between a chapter and a region.is ther a difference?also, what is your experience with smaller chapters?can they contribute?are they worth the loads of work it is going to take?etc. any input would be appreciated.thanks in advance, bleuflame smile.gif

Blueflame, your question is very reasonable even if the answer is somewhat complex. AACA was founded by a small group of members in the Philadelphia area who happened to call themselves the Antique Automobile Club of America. They really had no plan in place for the growth of the club or the hobby across the country. As the club grew and other parts of the country developed reasonable size, the concept of regions was born, with literaly a region organization representing a large area of maybe several states and chapters within the region for more localized representation.<P>This worked well for a while, but as organizational phenomenon goes, some of the chapters decided they wanted to be regions so in some areas the regional concept broke down and there were (and are) many AACA regions which are really only local clubs. <P>The "regional" concept has continued in three states fairly well - Louisiana, Ohio, and North Carolina. There is a "central" regional organization with chapters at local level. In most other places the history has been that a region was chartered, chapters were formed in communities around the region and as the chapters grew, they were granted their own region charter.<P>The requirements for forming a region or chapter are well spelled out in the AACA Policy and Procedures Manual which can be obtained for AACA HQ in Hershey or by a request to the VP Regions (see address on home page for this website).

Blueflame.<BR>Local chapters can be what you want it to be.<BR>I have started and been is several local clubs (non AACA), but around here they <BR>start well but always seem to be taken <BR>over by the Street rodders looking for an excuse for a night out <BR>of drinking. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is not the type<BR> of club I want to be a member of.<BR>About a year ago we started the <BR>AACA LOVeR .<BR>Lower Ohio Valley Evansville Region. <BR>We have had a great time attending shows together <BR>and just meeting. We went to Nashville. <A HREF="http://beaver.vinu.edu/nashville.HTM" TARGET=_blank>http://beaver.vinu.edu/nashville.HTM</A> <P>We are setting up a home page but it isn't <BR>Done I need to get it approved by Club next week<BR>But the start of it is up <A HREF="http://beaver.vinu.edu/lover.HTM" TARGET=_blank>http://beaver.vinu.edu/lover.HTM</A> <P>I wasn't very involved in setting up the region,<BR>But I don't think it was that hard.<P>To make a long story short we have great people, who are there because <BR>they love old cars. People with vast knowledge and a willingness to help, have come out <BR>of the woodwork and it has been very positive <BR>For all concerned. I think we are up to about 50 members.<BR>I personally have been amazed of the cars in my area I never knew existed.<P><BR>We are not sure why but in all AACA list our name doesn't have the E in it, it is LOVR<BR>So we just use it as LOVeR so people know we are in Southern Indiana.<P>I just had some patches made and we now have nametags.<BR>We are looking to to hosting a tour in a few years. maybe a show someday<P>I am also a member of White River Valley<BR>Region in Indianapolis Indiana, but it <BR>is over 3 hours from my house and I <BR>couldn't make their meeting without taking off work. They do a lot of tours and cookouts<BR> for club members so they are different the LOVeR, but it is what works for your group.<BR>LOVer meeting are about and hour from my house.<P>good luck<P>Jay Wolf<BR>AACA LOVeR <BR><P>------------------<BR>

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, Regions have sprung up in my area over the years for two reasons. First for geography and second fighting. Long Island is a big place, 120 miles long and has about 3 million people (w/o NYC Brooklyn, Queens), so their has been a need for Regions in different areas. The other region is that in the 60's and 70's people would fight over power and $$ and show dates and locations, and hense the splits. During the 80's no contact existed among the 3 regions, but in the 90's the regions started to go to each others shows and run joint tours and parties. I had a lot to do with this, we had people who had no idea what the fights were over, but continued the fueds. I was the peace maker. Also the Peconic Bay Region started on the east end of the island and was warmly welcomed by the other 3 regions, how times have changed. SalG<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 08-11-2000).]

Blueflame, in the piedmont region of NC the area is already covered by the NC region. The president is Herb Oaks 102Converse Dr. Jacksonville, NC 28546 910-346-3834. We have 19 Chapters: Alamnce (Alamnce county area),Brass-Nickel (touring chapter), Cape Fear (Wilmington area), Costal Plains (Washington,NC area), East Carolina (I'm not sure), First Capital (New Bern area), Freshwater (Hobbsville area),Furnitureland (Denton area), General Greene (Greensboro area) Hillbilly (Weaverville area), North Central (Caswell county area), Old Salem (Wiston-Salem area), San-Lee (sanford area), Sandhills (pinehurst area), Three Rivers (Eden area), Triangle (Wake county) Uwharrie (Stanly county)Ol'Lighting Rods (Wallace area). Then you have Hornet's Nest Region in Charlotte area. Zooland Region in the Ashboro area. Mountianeer Region in the Waynesville area. Great Smoky Mountains Region in the Hendersonville area. Foothills Region in the Gastonia area.Transylvania Region in Transylvania county.So the state is pretty well covered. <BR>As for the region/chapter differance. basically there is no major differances. just as a chapter under a region it gives us <BR>some more poltical leverage in Raleigh. NC region as two people watching raleigh for bills that affect us. we fought for a tax bill the other year that would reduce taxs on our old cars. Some of the reps were trying despertly to defeat it. The vote was to take place on a certain day and we had members that were goning to be there to suporrot our reps. that intrdouced the bill. They moved the date forward (to sneak it by us to defeat it) and our "watchdogs" made calles to the chapters and we had a fair group of members from different chapters representing basically the whole state, there to hound our government reps. to pass the bill. We won. Lower taxes.<BR>To start a region, to need to get sponsorship from another region, if I remember correctly. To be honest, I doubt you'll get it from any region in NC. I'm sure NC Region would accept another chapter.<BR>Give Herb a call for contacts for any of the chapters. You can contact me for the Alamance Chapter at alamance_aaca@yahoo.com .<BR>Hope to have been some help. You might come jion us.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 08-12-2000).]