1950 Buick Chrome

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

I just purchased a 1950 Buick and the chrome front bumper has some hazing which I'm trying to get back to life. So far I've tried Nevr-Dull, Mothers, Simichrome, Noxon and still the haze is there. Is this case hopeless or is there some other product or special trick I'm not aware of. I know the car is 59 years old and the bumper probably should be rechromed, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-63492-143138107484_thumb.jpg

Don't expect the chrome on an early 50's Buick to be anything like the show chrome of today. There was still a shortage of materials ( including chromium ) because of WW2 and the Korean war. This is always a trap if buying NOS bumper parts, the NOS parts always look pretty thin and a bit on the dull side.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt worry to much about it..looks clean as is but if you want try "blue magic" you can get it at an autparts store..Kragens,autozone,pep boys,etc..

I've used "0000" steel wool with a lot of success on chrome. That's the superfine version and should be available at the local hardware store. Make sure you find the "0000" steel wool, the number of 0's is important.

Also, you can buy a mild acid cleaner made for modern wheels that might work. I've used it on a spoke hubcaps for a pontiac and it worked amazingly in removing the haze on them. I would definatley follow Thriller's advice though and consult a detailer before using the acid on that beautiful grill! Good luck.

• 2 months later...