Charging circuit for 1930 Packard 740

Guest stude8

I am looking to find a charging circuit diagram for a 1930 Packard 740 automoble using the Owen Dyneto CD-865 generator. Is there any online site that might have a PDF or other image available?

Car in question has had a battery installed with reverse polarity and after correcting (POS ground and NEG hot) the system fails to charge. Ammeter shows discharge when lights are turned on so ammeter appears to work properly. I know there is a fuse in the cutout relay device but it is not open.

I question whether reverse polarity would disturb field "Flux" and the generator needs to be "Repolarized" .

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Stude8<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

There is a 7th series owners manual available for download at packardinfo.com. It has a wiring diagram & some limited info on the charging circuit. Repolarizing has solved several no charging issues mentioned in the forums there on later model cars when batteries had been reversed.

Thank you for the 7th series owners manual location tip, unfortunately we live in a rural area with about the worst internet dial up service in USA.

The 42 pages run about 70MB and the ISP estimate is 1 hour & 38 min's to download. Usually the ISP drops out after 20 minutes so It is hopeless to retrive here. When in Chicago next week I will try from a more powerful work station with real internet access.

Stude8

You can also view or download the wiring diagram on The Packard Club's website, Packard Automobile Classics, Inc. - The Packard Club. Your generator is a third-brush type and the O-D regulator is just a cutout and simple voltage control. If I remember correctly the single external wire on the generator goes directly to the battery hot side post at the starter motor solenoid.

In response to other requests about the car, this is a photo of the 1930 Packard 740 roadster with the charging fault. It is said to be an Earl Anthony California model. Stude8

post-31139-143138108434_thumb.jpg

For the record, the generator regulator has some defect and one of the relay coils starts to over heat and the wire from battery (NEG) terminal to the regulator terminal becomes hot to the touch so with prudence it was disconnected and taped off for protection.

The Owen Dyneto data tag says it is Model CO 1240; Serial 856870. This is not the model number given in other after market supplier catalog. Can anyone identify if this is a correct type for the 1930 740 Packard?

Among other items discovered like some wires with rubber insulation crumbled from age and missing was that the "Protection Device" which should contain a 25 amp fuse to protect the system from short circuits is missing on this car? Load wires that should be fused are connected direct to the ammeter post. Not a professional wiring job to my eyes.

At present the car runs on battery alone with generator output disconnected for safety reasons. The generator has two wires exiting the metal case that connect direct to regulator bottom terminals, can't find any info on whether these are what need momentary contact to battery NEG post for polarizing the fields. I would appreciate knowing if any written service procedure for a Dyneto generator is available online.

Can anyone identify these two number regulator applications? 21732 and 40203. No Mfg name is known.

Stude8

Owen-Dyneto CO-1240 is for 1934-35 Eight and Super Eight. Owen-Dyneto 21262 is the correct cutout/voltage control for these units. 40210 is correct control unit for 1936 which used O-D CO-1300 generator. These numbers can be found int he Packard Parts Book which uses OEM part numbers for these units. In some cases data from Chiltons or AEA differ.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Thank you Owen D. for the helpful tips on regulators and generator details.

The car will definitely need some wiring corrections and replacement of some kind of regulator resistance device and circuit breaker component for future electrical circuit protection. The car has a number of extra electrical loads like 4 trumpet Sparton bugle horn, Trippe Road Lights and a Spotlight none of which are fused in any way.

Attached are two images showing the generator and present regulator box and one showing poor condition of instrument lamp wires with shredded rubber insulation. With the current limiter "Circuit Protector" device removed all this is a short circuit hazard that could produce an electrical fire with bad results.

This discovery came about when it was necessary to relocate the car from its usual garage (that is being restored with new epoxy floor treatment and interior painting) to temporary storage at another location.

Stude8

post-31139-143138113307_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138113309_thumb.jpg

By appearance that generator is the "red label" (high output) unit installed on 1934 Packards about mid-year, the upgrade was made due to the rising popularity of radio equipment. The regulator is a NAPA/Echlin aftermarket unit, just recently discontinued by NAPA; at last call there are none left in their inventory as many owners of these cars bought them up in quantity when word circulated about their being discontinued, but hopefully you can find another if you choose to keep this generator on the car, which is functionally equivalent to the original generator.

The forward cooling air "scupper" is mounted backwards; the cooling air flow should be IN at the lower scupper on the brush band, and OUT on the forward scupper. The intake scupper should have a mesh filter not unlike an air filter mesh to prevent the intake of debris into the generator. If the third brush was adjusted for maximum output the lack of air flow could easily have resulted in an overheated condition.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Thanks again Owen-Dyneto for the knowledgeable up date on the 30 Packard 740 generator problems.

Unfortunately I am 350 miles from where the car is at the moment. It will be in temporary storage location for about a month until its home garage restoration is completed.

Sometime in the future we will perform work to correct the problems that are present. I'll have to search local NAPA inventories in case a regulator is on hand some where. Would you know the NAPA component part number?

Stude8

Guest stude8

Thanks again Owen-Dyneto for the part number data. The Packard 740 owner will be at Hershey so I'll pass the numbers to him to watch out for. Stude8

• 1 year later...