Vacuum hose diagram 65 Buick 401" - Carter

wmsue

Hi,

I need some help determining the vacuum hose routing for my 65 Buick 401 - Carter. There are a 4 vacuum ports on the carb. The power booster is a given and is connected to the 3/8 pipe thread on the back of the carb.

There are 2 ports (front and back) on the bottom of the carb and 1 port near the top (at about 10 o'clock if you are looking straight down on the carb and standing at the front bumper.)

Where does the vacuum advance connect?

When does the vacuum canister connect? and what is the 3rd port for?

This is the original carb I removed from the car 20+ years ago. I'm sure something use to connect to it.

I have the factory manual and could not find a diagram.:mad:

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks

Bill

BCA - 26026

Bill, I thought the Rochester carb was standard on the 65 401. Does your manual show that a Carter Carb was available on this engine? If so, that vacuum diagram ought to be in the factory manual. Look under Emissions, or look for the individual items that would be vacuum operated, like the vacuum advance and the HVAC Unit ,and the transmission vacuum module.

John

The Carter AFB was a factory carb for 64 and 65 (atleast) Buicks 401 and 425. There was even an option for 2 AFB's. The factory manual describes troubleshooting and adjustments for it but no diagrams. The only vacuum section I can find is for the optional trunk release. I can find sections for fuel, wipers, timing.

The trans module is connected directly to the intake manifold and I have the canister connected to the top port which means it does not get constant manifold vacuum. Not sure if that's correct. There are no vacuum connections for the air cleaner.

I'll keep looking.

thanks

Is the upper port on the front of the AFB about 1/4 inch diameter? If so, it's for the "clean air tube" that should go to the bottom of the exhaust manifold directly down from where the insulated choke tube comes in at the top of the exhaust manifold from the choke assy.

kaycee

e-mail littleeight@att.net

ph. 815 223 3919

Thanks.

That's one hose. I had that connected to the canister.

That leaves me two ports. I know one goes to the vacuum advance and don't think it really matters which one. Both remaining ports deliver full vacuum.

Bill

BCA

Hi Bill,

The lower front port on the carb. goes back to the distibutor vacuum advance, and the one on the lower rear of the carb. should go back to the Turbo. 400 transmission vacuum modulator on the trans. You should have a tube coming up from the transmission modulator toward the rear of the engine and probably a hose going to the carb. port. I'll check on the canister this afternoon and try to get back to you later.

kaycee

Hi Kaycee

The hose that comes from the transmission modulator goes directly to the intake manifold. There is a port a few inches behind the carb where a metal tube slides inside of a larger metal tube sticking out. I guess I connect the canister to the rear port. Any idea if the vacuum would be the same on each port during acceleration...etc? Guess I'll check that out tonight with a vacuum gauge.

thanks

Bill

BCA

Hi Bill,

As Sledhead mentioned, you may want to go to the Team Buick site for info. to be sure. I know that the port on the lower front of the carb. goes to the dist. vacuum advance.

kaycee