'89 Coupe Radio Problems

Guest Kingsley

Guest Kingsley

Tihs is submitted on behalf of the owner. There is substantial radio interference on front and rear speakers driver side only. Speaker from passenger side transfered remporarily, no change. Suggestions for further diagnosis? Thanks - a solution will get move this fellow to membership in BAC/Reatta Division!

Could be the radio module, which is located in the console, or door speakers, which are subject to moisture.

Having said that, I had a similar problem, and came up with a simple fix. It may not work for you, but it costs nothing, and probably won't make things worse than they are.

I played my daughter's type music at the volume she likes with as much bass as I could give it. At any rate, for whatever reason, after this, I had no further problems, right up to selling it last year. Mine was also an 89 Coupe. It could be that I rattled something loose.

Tom T

Sounds like the radio brain is having issues, but first I would get an other speaker and hook it into the system. This will insure that you have a radio issue and not a speaker issue. easiest way is to swap the read speakers. If you still have the issue and it did not swap sides it is definately a radio box issue.

As stated before there are many vehicles that have a compatible radio, but the EQ versions are not too easy to find. I do have one or two sitting here that I would be willing to seperate with for shipping pluss $15, this covers only my cost when I find one in my favorite yard.

If you need further hel just say so.

my new 89 coupe sat for 4 years. Lots of connector issues but no radio. The crt says radio but tuning is short lived ,no sound what-so-ever. took it out of the console checked all connectors, alas, no tunes. all fuses are good-does the radio fuse effect the crt screen have not checked for power on the lines. May I need one of your radios? Also idiot lights don't work (oil temp alt abs -ABS was very burnt -silvered-i need an acumulator i think) ses works after I fiddled with all the bulbs. of course e026 code.

I am new and hope to have good times here!

Bob

Lou KY

Edited by rjfranken (see edit history)

Sounds like a radio power issue. Check to see if you have +12V on the red and yellow wires going in to the radio brain. If you do then insure you have a good ground to the radio. If bolth are present I would bet you have a bad radio. Also check for a previosly instlled after maket system. This would mean they disconnected the factory radio and inserted a line converter or just ran them to an amp.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Power to the radio also runs through the retained power relay under the fuses. My radio stopped working and it turned out to be dirty contacts on that relay.