1961 Ford Sunliner convertible top question

rick60

I've posted this question in the general section because I think it may apply to any make of car. I'm redoing my brother's '61 Ford Sunliner. I've removed the convertible top material. This appears to only the second top installed on this car. The top pads appeared to be the original ones installed from the factory. I noticed that there were snaps installed on the top (inside) of the side rails. There are two on each front rail. There is one on each center rail. The snaps installed on the front rails are positioned towards the ends of the rail. I looked in the shop manual. There is no mention or pictures of these snaps. I don't remember seeing these on my '60 when I replaced that top. Does anyone know the purpose of these snaps? They were positively installed by the factory. Could they possibly have been used in conjunction with straps to secure the top to prevent chaffing when it is stacked? Any information is appreciated.

Rick- I have an basically original '61 Sunliner that is my summer driver The top has been replaced but NOT the pads. The Ford pads have a fabric flap along the lower edge. This flap contains the female part of the snaps that you are referring to. Looking at the type of construction and it's function it appears to me that this is type of weatherseal whether it be for rain,sleet,snow, or just wind. I have never snapped them and my top is down a lot. I will look at my shop manual later today. Bob

Thanks for the information. The tap pads on my brother's car were in very poor condition. The literally fell apart as I was removing them. I did not notice any snaps on the top pads. Those pads were probably not the originals. I don't know if the replacement pads will have snaps. I haven't seen the pads as of yet and the car will not be ready to have the top installed until later this year. Thanks. Rick