Speedo Lube? What is the preferred?

msmazcol

Sorry if I already asked but what is the best lube for a speedo cluster? I have it in pieces down to the last part. It looked like an old white lubriplate grease but there has to be a better product out now.

What do you guys like best that won't get old and gummy or leak out onto the face dials.

Thanks

Sorry if I already asked but what is the best lube for a speedo cluster? I have it in pieces down to the last part. It looked like an old white lubriplate grease but there has to be a better product out now.

What do you guys like best that won't get old and gummy or leak out onto the face dials.

Thanks

I would have thought no lube especially if the mechanism has plastic gears (not sure what you're working on).

I did my 61 and there was no lube.

If you want to use something to replace the lubriplate I would use white lithium sparingly. I would use some 3 in 1 oil on the bronze bushing where the cable attaches. We used to coat the actual cable itself with graphite.

impala

You should only lubricate the bottom third of the cable. Enough will work up to lubricate the rest. In the sixties we overhauled and replaced hundreds of Chevrolet speedos because people had over lubed the cable. Many of them had been over lubed from the factory.