37 Dodge -

Guest mspringsteen

Guest mspringsteen

I have a 37 dodge that I've owned since 1968. It was my fist car back in high school and was an old timer at that time. I've made various repairs or improvements along the way-nothing very extensive-it's not a showroom model, but it's in original condition, very driveable, no rust and looks pretty sharp. Eventually I will need to pull the engine for a thorough overhaul as it does like and leaks oil quite well. Being a procrastinator and having a lot of other things to do puts that job on the back burner for now. Besides it starts up well, idles real quite and runs down the road well.

Rather than take on the big job I'm looking at some of the smaller ones and wondering if there is someone that can point me in the right direction for some parts or advice.

I just lost a small piece of chrome body trim that is between the front passenger door and the hood.

I am in need of a new horn button-the inside of the one I have is worn and doesn't want to stay in place anymore

The oil filter that came with the car originally was removed along with the tubing that connected it to the block-not sure where to go looking for either one.

Back many years ago the original stromberg carberator went bad-when I replaced it I used a carter carberator-The stromberg had an automatic choke-the carter has a manual choke-I would like to have the stromberg rebuilt if when it was done it functioned as it was supposed to. At the time I replaced it many years ago I was not able to find a rebuilt kit -but guess now that with the internet somewhere a kit is available and I could have it rebuilt. Back when the stromberg was on it the automatic choke never worked very well. I would like advice on rebuilding the stromberg and thoughts on how well that automatic choke worked when new.

My speedometer quite working 30 years ago or so-I'm pretty sure the problem is in the spring in the gauge not in the cable-is there anyone that repairs them and if so where?

that's enough for now-I appreciate any and all advice

I can relate to your story...I have had my first car since I was 13 years old, drove it to high school, etc. You should go to the W.P.Chrysler Club and talk to those guys. For most of the parts you need, you can get them from ebay. For the other stuff, the guys in that club should be able to help. There are various instrument re-builders around the country that can fix your speedometer. I have seen the oil filter setups on ebay also. They are relatively inexpensive.

When I 1st read your post I thought maybe it was a friend of mine! He too has a 37 DB coupe that was his 1st car many years ago, and learned to drive in it. He was my high school art teacher in 1968-69. Now is just a good friend. His is mostly stock with minor changes such as Cragars, 12 volt alternator, and Vintage Air heater. Tried to get him to put stock wheels on it but as a kid one of them kept falling off and passing him so he grew to hate them and the lug bolts!

I see instrument clusters on EBAY every now and then.

• 10 months later...